• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My giant bun is poorly but what could the problem be?(long post, sorry)u/d 7/8/09

HoppingBinky

Mama Doe
I'm already dreading what the morning will bring as i will have to take her back to the vets if she's no better. As you all will know you can usually spot when one of your buns is feeling "off it" and it is normaly followed up with a visit to the vet to find out why. Well my baby Lady has been "off it" for two days now, she's still eating, pooing large amounts and is being given water to drink out of a bowl not her normal bottle. I havn't changed her food or anything, just given her more hay to eat if she wants it. She feels really hot and is panting very fast (but not mouth breathing).She also was very tender on her right side of her tummy i did tap it for bloat but it didn't sound any different. I took her to the vets yesturday now (5/8/09) and he's not sure either he felt her side but she didn't flinch think this was due to her being stressed and not at home.He took her temperature and it was very high and he couldn't understand why she was panting so fast he wondered if it was an infection but he said that he wasn't convinced as she only had the one symptom. He said that if she was no better by this morning to bring her back and they will x-ray her tummy,look deep into her mouth and run some more tests. He also gave her 3 injections an anti-inflammatory, antibiotics and pain killer.He also said that if she seemed a little better to give the injections 48 hours to work then bring her back.I'm sat at work worrying myself sick about her and if she's ok. I just want to get home and see her.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Any advice would be most helpfull and please send a few vibes if possible to.:(

Last edited:
im in the same boat as you

if you read my post under health you will see i have the same problem but further advanced, also i have read a post that about 5 people are having the same simular probs and their vets and themselves are puzzled. what do you feed your one on?, i have a giant too a haaskluer, im so worried about him, it would break my heart if i lost him.
ive got to go back in the morning for blood tests to be done as cant find anything wrong except the same as what you have. he has been given loads of injections too, im googling at the moment to try and find something that would explain it.
we are all in different parts of the country too, so god knows what it is.
let me know how you get on
becki

OMG Thats really strange. Whats happening to our buns??:(.I will update as soon as i know whats going on in the morning. I rang my partner last night and he said that even though the weather has cooled down abit she's still panting.I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us, i only lost my young boy a few weeks ago and i can't bear to loose my baby. I just hope she keeps on fighting as if she goes in later today she will have to have a GA and i'm scared stiff.Vibes for everybun suffering with this problem and hugs to all of you, i hope there's a simple solution.:(

Hi has your vet checked your bunnies ears to rule out an infection?I have continental giants and have problems with them that no vet has been able to help me with.All the ones that have got ill have been found to carry the staph aureus bacteria.This has caused their paws to abscess and and once The infection starts we cant seem to stop it.My baby Bugsy got an infection in his ears and then got a temp of 42 degrees which spread through his body like wild fire.I have lost Willow due to my vet finding a massive abscess in his abdomen,which was removed then came back within weeks.Now I have Blue who is ill due to snuffles,he has been prescribed antibiotics for life,which seem to have stopped working.
I really hope your bunny is going to be alright,sending massive vibes

just come back from the vets with denozzo. they have took some blood, was very proud of him as they took it from the ear and he just sat there while they done it.
he has warned me it might be a parasite that is like a worm it comes from the intestine and goes to the brain, if it goes to the brain there is nothing they can do as there is no treatment once it gets there. the trouble is there are no signs of it untill it is too late. but it is rare in rabbits. he said they can get it from hay etc.
just preying its not that. ive got to wait till monday before we get the results, its going to be a long weekend.
i cant remember the name but it does sound like e coli.

just come back from the vets with denozzo. they have took some blood, was very proud of him as they took it from the ear and he just sat there while they done it.
he has warned me it might be a parasite that is like a worm it comes from the intestine and goes to the brain, if it goes to the brain there is nothing they can do as there is no treatment once it gets there. the trouble is there are no signs of it untill it is too late. but it is rare in rabbits. he said they can get it from hay etc.
just preying its not that. ive got to wait till monday before we get the results, its going to be a long weekend.
i cant remember the name but it does sound like e coli.

That sounds like he is talking about ECuniculi to me. There is some stuff you can do, anti imflammatory, pain killer and 28 days of Panacur (or the alternative the name escapes me at the moment), plus cleaning of the hutch on certain days to eradicate the spores which are spread by urine and stope reinfection. I am sure someone will be along with more advice shortly, but have a search through the forum for EC threads and have a read!

I send lots of vibes for you rabbit... and hope for the best that he recovers with adequate treatment

u/d on Lady

I got home this morning to find that her temperature has gone down and she's not panting anymore. I am taking her back to the vets later on today at his request to see the improvement. She has not eaten much of her food but is munching her way through hay.She actually came up to me for some much needed fuss today and i ended up crying on her while she was nuzzling me. Just hope the vet has some idea of whats going on. Thank you to everyone keeping me posted on whats going on and sending loads of vibes for all the buns affected.
Tiggerlitroo I really hope the test results come back OK and i will keep my fingers crossed for you all weekend. If you ever need a chat please pm me.

Back