• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My dad says the rabbits stink up the house...

I'm changing the hay from eating to litter every day, giving them fresh. I have a separate container for their eating hay. Do I not need to do that? I'll try kitty litter again then... But it'll be a couple days since I don't work tomorrow so I won't be going to town.

Oh right. Aren't they using the eating hay as a toilet too? Mine would. If you find your set up is working, that's fair enough, it just makes more sense to me to have one box, filled with litter, and a small amount of hay that you top up whenever they're getting low. If I put a ton in, they'd eat some but they'd mainly pee on it, which I find a waste. I want hay to be only for eating. Like I said, they like to go where they eat, so if you're putting the potty and the food in two separate areas, they might be confused as to where to go.

I know this isn't the best picture in the world but I'm not feeling emotionally strong enough to go looking through photos of my boy tonight.

9219b6e2.jpg

This is how I do my bunnies' litter trays.

One other thing, are you sure they aren't weeing somewhere you haven't seen? At one point, when I was mid bonding my four into a quad, one of the trays I was using (not one of those above) had cracked slightly but I hadn't seen. I soaked into the carpet and was very difficult to get rid of the smell. I'd think I'd cleaned it up but it still smelt, whether Nutmeg was weeing there again, or whether it had soaked in and proved impossible to get rid of I don't know. I ended up getting rid of the carpet as I was planning on doing that anyway as it was old. Mind you, I could smell that, it wasn't something I grew used to.

You guys ways seem like they use a lot less hay... Thanks! I'll get some straw tomorrow and try it out! You guys are great! Thanks! They'll have more room now too.

And bethepoet, no they don't use the eating hay as a toilet, just the litter box. They are wonderful bunnies. They'll be playing across the room and suddenly stop, stare at me then dash to the litter box. They do their business then they go back to playing.

That's all hay in my pic. They enjoy foraging around in the hay and finding the best bits. I also find they eat at least half of what I put in there, I'd be topping it up every hour if I didn't use just hay.

Back