• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My buns got baldy bits on her ears and neck....and the vets have no idea why

lauramc888

Warren Scout
My bun pepper is 4 years old, and for nearly a year now she has had recurring problems on the skin on the back of her neck and around her ears. It is almost baldy at some places and it can look quite sore. It has now started on her nose and around both her eyes. I have had to the vets numerous times, and was given an anti fungal ear drops to rub in to teh affected areas, and this works temporarily but then when it is stopped, it happens all over again. I had her in just there and she had lots of skin samples which showed nothing, no mites or any other things they were looking for. They are keeping a sample to see if it is ringworm but I havent heard back about that as it needs a couple of weeks to 'grow' or something.

The new solution is to put her on a limited diet as they are thinking it could be an allergy to her food, it is the pellets from PAH, excel pellets I think. So at the mo all she is getting to eat is hay and grass. She has been eating excel for years.

Anyone have any thoughts of what it could actually be as I am just not convinced it is her food. Poor wee bun, it looks sore and sad seeing wee baldy raw patches of her neck :(

I will post some photos to hopefully give an idea of what I mean though they arent the best.

My Rimmi is bald on the back of his ears.... because his partner over-grooms him :shock:

Has your bun been checked for mites? If not, it could be overgrooming (if you have more than one bun together - sorry, I didnt read the whole post..... am meant to be doing chores!!!)

thanks for reply, yep she has been checked for mites ,quite a few times and never had any. I do have another bunny, and thats what I thought that maybe Bugsy was over grooming her, but to be honest, I dont think I have ever seen him groom her, unless he turns in to a grooming rapist when nobody is about :D I had said that to the vets though was it maybe Bugsy grooming her but he didnt think so as he has thought she would be more likely to be just bald rather than kind of raw looking. Just trying to upload photos

Is she spayed?
We have one like that at work and the vet thinks it could be hormonal because she needs spaying

Think I can answer the last question for Laura yes she is spayed.Laura what you bedding her on? Also one of my lops get baldy at times and I found bathing the area with well water down hibscrud helped it .Vet also could find no reason for it. I also use rappor in there bedding area now whats helped so I think it was the other bedding I used

Hows Bugsy getting on .Could you send me a pic as I am doing a scrap book with all the bunnys I have helped to rehome over the years.

Back