• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Bunny Plans

Alibunbun

Warren Scout
Just thought I'd share with you all my plans for the bun(s) when I do actually get her and see if anyone has any thoughts on what I've come up with that can be improved :) I'm open to suggestions!

I'd like to get a reasonably young bunny purely because I have the time and patience to cope with one and the energy! And I don't think I could deal with adopting an older bun and the possibility of losing her so soon after getting her! I know that's quite a minimal possibility, but that's just my personal preference :)

So I'm going to start off housing him/her indoors with a rabbit-proof enclosure so she can hop around all day and I can shut her away (inside the house, not the cage;)) late at night for my peace of mind. The room in which I'm hoping to keep her is a room we call "the studio" as it's a lot like a studio apartment :lol: but our dog (who is fine with rabbits anyway) doesn't have access to this room, it's quiet but frequented by us and is always cool even in the height of summer. Though I have to say I don't know how the poor rabbits survive out here in the Australian summer! :shock::shock:

A cage I'm considering: Let me know what you think of it!

Aside from her everyday expeditions inside we have a small (around 12m x 5m) enclosed outside courtyard set on patio pavement which he/she would have access to weather permitting - she'd just have to hop through the door and viola! The good thing about that is we have parsley, mint and various other edible plants growing in pots so tasty treats would be available in moderation. Don't worry I'll move them if they start to become a fascination :thumb: Obviously she will have copious toys and things to chew/explore/binky and bunny 500 around! As well as constant access to her cage, hay, water, food and once a day will receive her veggies :)

I may also invest in an outdoor cage, simply for the summer months but that might not be necessary as like I said, the studio room is a very cool place, even in summer - as it's sheltered by a towering stone wall and overhanging balcony. I will post photos ect. When I'm back home to give you guys a little more insight into the area of choice but for now I think my extra long description will do!! :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry to waffle on! Xx

Last edited:
Whoops that's what I was referring to! I meant I will have her shut inside the house at night, not the cage :lol: I agree that the cage would be far too small! Thank you for pointing that out I will edit the post to make it clearer.

In hinesty if you have the space go for a large dog crate to use as a bun base.

This has two big advantages; it gives far more space to provide that quiet dark hidey hole as well as house a litter/hay tray. Secondly it gives you a safe space a bun can be temporary locked in allowing them to stretch upwards or oiutwards when you need to, and you will, clean the space they live in.

Took me a couple of chewed vacuum cleaners [Doodee] and a steam cleaner [Teasel] to work that its quicker safer and easier to lock house buns out of troubles way. :lol:

sounds amazing! what a lucky bun! i agree with tracy if ou have the space/money i would go for a slightly larger cage so if you ever needed or wanted to shut her away you could :thumb: also will she have some bunny to love? :love:

Thank you so much for all the advice! I will look into the dog crate idea and whether it would be something I could manage :)

In regards to bunny love, I'm not entirely sure yet - if I come across an adorable couple who's to say I could resist? :love:

I have a similar sized cage in the bunny room, but the opening is much wider, allowing them to hop in and out as they please. (this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GHNM5DY/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

They buns use it as their base when they need a little time out and they tend to sleep on the shelf or below. The extras are very flimsy (luckily we didn't buy the cage for that). There's substantial room for them to periscope inside too.

Your set up sounds lovely though! Lucky bunnies!

That is a good cage too, only very slightly bigger - a few centimetres bigger than the one I linked :) The door is a little bigger yes, but I plan on getting a bigger cage anyway once he/she is a bit older, this is just baby's pad :love: I've seen people attach Seagrass mats to the door to make a little ramp in and out of the cage so maybe that would be an option if they couldn't jump in :) Thank you for all the ideas!

Keep in mind a rabbit will go from baby at 8 weeks (minimum age they leave home) to pretty much adult size at 16 weeks. So to behonest I would plan long term or you end up spending a lot of money and then it only lasts a month or two.

It sounds like a good arrangement with your studio and the outside area. My advice would be to skip the cage altogether and either bunny proof the whole room so she can be out full time or use a puppy pen to pen off part of the room for her. There is really no need for a cage at all! She'll need something enclosed to hide in (but she'd need that in a cage anyway) which could be a cardboard box or have a look at wooden houses designed for dogs/cats etc. you can get some really nice looking ones.

My advice for a first time bunny would be to look at baby bunnies in rescue - they often have them where they take in pregnant rabbits, but the benefit is they'll help you with neutering/pairing up etc. in otherwords all the tricky parts!

Thank you Tamsin! :) I will look into whether bunny proofing the whole room off for her would be feesable. Sounds like a good plan. And yes I'm planning on visiting my local rescues when I get back to the UK in search of young buns to rehome! I love that they help you out with all the tricky parts, think I'd be far too nervous to get a female rabbit spayed :/ Although my local vets are very good with rabbits, which is a bonus just in case for some reason I do need to neuter/spay.

Thank you Tamsin! :) I will look into whether bunny proofing the whole room off for her would be feesable. Sounds like a good plan. And yes I'm planning on visiting my local rescues when I get back to the UK in search of young buns to rehome! I love that they help you out with all the tricky parts, think I'd be far too nervous to get a female rabbit spayed :/ Although my local vets are very good with rabbits, which is a bonus just in case for some reason I do need to neuter/spay.

I'd definately rescue (i've done it both ways - i got a pet shop and a breeder bun first time round (back then i didnt even know rabbits were in rescues :oops: ) and a rescue bun as a new partner when one sadly passed away earlier this year). The baby bit 8-16weeks (so only 8weeks) is a very short time, but youve got the stress of castration and spay and no guarentee the buns will even like each other at maturity. They dont tend to be particularly litter trainable until a few weeks after neutering due to their territorial behaviour. Plus their behaviour as pre hormonal 8week olds is no reflection on what their mature behaviour will be like. Whereas rescues often have buns that are 3-6months old, ready neutered and bonded, and will be easily litter trainable (basically all the difficult bits done). They also tend to have an awful lot of bunnies in the 6month - 2year old bracket (judging by when i was looking), this is still young for a rabbit (their life expectancy is 8-12years!)

Back