• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny doesn't love me anymore! :(

Ok, the title is a bit of an exaggeration ;)

Basically, I feel sad as my cuddly little bunny used to be so friendly and sociable with me, and now she's not!

Just over 2 weeks ago me and my bun Pancake (almost 4yo and spayed) made the drastic move to Cyprus from England. Everyone said I was mad for bringing her but we don't abandon our babies do we! (I spent about 6 months researching/weighing up whether it was fair on her and whether she would be able to deal with the journey by the way -it wasn't a rash decision!)

The plane journey was awful, I spent all 4-something hours of it (plus much of the morning leading up to the flight) crying for how horrible I was being to her, by putting her through the stress of a long flight, taking her to a whole new blipping country and generally panicking about the whole thing!
Pancake on the other hand didn't seem to care at all lol.
She was happily munching her hay in her travel carrier looking cute and chilled out when I picked her up the other end (she had to fly in cargo). She was a bit quiet when we finally got to our new home and stayed on my lap with us both wrapped in my dressing gown/her comfort chew thing, but was back to her usual self that same evening really, apart from slightly nervous about being in a new environment!

Before moving here she wasn't a free roaming house rabbit, she spent big portions of of the day sitting in her hutch whilst I was at work and even when she was out and about to play, she had to be limited to just her outside run/my room as my land lady had 2 cats and a dog (both very friendly with humans present but not a safe environment for bunny to run free in!).
Now here in Cyprus she has free roam of the entire house except for 2 rooms (wires and stuff) which are kept shut. Haven't got her an outdoor run sorted out yet, got to DIY one with a double layer of chicken wire and mosquito mesh as there's bugs and things, but aiming to get that sorted in the next week so she can have at least an hour or two of fresh air in the mornings/evenings before the temperatures go mad here!

Anyway, since she got used to the house and has realised she's now allowed to go where she pleases, she's not got a lot of interest in me anymore!!
I don't think she's in a mood with me, whenever I've offended her sense of rabbity justice in the past she's been quick to let me know and we've been able to make amends! She'll still let me brush her hair (she is a long fluffy lionhead) but she hops off within minutes before I'm really done getting the extra fluff out - she's moulting a bit already. A weird thing is when I'm sitting on the sofa, she'll usually jump up and get in my face, let me stroke her for about 1 second then jump off.
Earlier this evening I got sulky about being ignored (I realise as I'm writing this how ridiculous I sound hah) so I picked her up - not a problem for 3-weeks-ago-Pancake, but tonight, nooo, she leapt off my lap and went STRAIGHT to lie down in her litter tray across the room and stared at me from there, it seemed very deliberate lol. Even my husband noticed. (she's never been much of one to lie in it before)
I don't get it, she seems happy, running around, doing bunny ballet/binkys, she's eating and pooing as normal, she's the queen of the castle in her new favourite position halfway up the stairs where she can watch over us humans, her minions on the sofa below. She doesn't growl or grunt at me when I do pick her up, like to take her to bed (she still sleeps in her hutch for now until I can get her bunny bedroom totally wire free/blocked!)

I'm guessings it's just she's got more independence, she's got places to go, things to sniff etc, i'm just a loser mama and i miss my bunny cuddles :( Has anyone else gone from a mostly confined bunny to a near enough free roaming house bunny and experienced similar behaviour?

I'm sorry for sounding such a whinger, I just wasnt expecting it to be like this lol. She was a house roaming bunny when she was a baby up until she was about a year old, and she used to go crazy excited when I came home from work and run to leap all over me, I was expecting it to be like that again lol.

Awww! I'm sure she does still love you :D But she has lots of work to do, she's busy having to check everything over in her new home! Maybe she'll settle down once you've been there a bit longer and she's sure of what's going on and knows everything's been checked and all is okay and safe ;) :)

Awww! I'm sure she does still love you :D But she has lots of work to do, she's busy having to check everything over in her new home! Maybe she'll settle down once you've been there a bit longer and she's sure of what's going on and knows everything's been checked and all is okay and safe ;) :)

I think you're probably right :) I think i'm just being a bit silly really. All those times she would sit on my chest for hours at a time, half the time i'd be wishing she'd wake up so i could go to the toilet or get a cup of tea, I really regret it now! :(

So hey, I'm still new to bunny companionship myself but I noticed with my two girls that before when they were in the hutch most of the time and only out for a few hours each day they let me come over pick them up and cuddle them without much, if any, complaint. But once I'd bunny proofed my house and let them roam free in the living room they don't let me cuddle them, though they are, slowly, coming up to me more and often now even let me touch them, even if only momentarily. But it's more than they did when I first started letting them roam, so I'm confident they'll continue getting better.

I've also noticed that letting your bunnies free roam in the house results in less attention for mum :cry:

Unfortunately in my case it's been over 9 months now and nothing has changed. My once loving bunny who came to me for nose rubs and sat for ages being stroked when we first got him is now roaming around like head of the house and is only interested in me when I have food :(

I hope for you your rabbit will return to how they used to be as you already had a strong bond with them, once they are used to their new surroundings. I think where I went wrong was to give my rabbit too much freedom too soon before a stronger bond was created, then I bonded him with my other bun so he's shown no interest in me ever since then.

I can understand how devastated you feel and no, it's not silly or petty, don't worry about that :)

Back