• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunnies

My bridge bunny Smudge, regularly nibbled the tops off the spring bulbs as they appeared in the garden. She obviously hadn't read the memo. I think eating the bulbs would be dangerous, but the leaves and shoots never caused her any problems. When I went to Twigsway's foraging day, Frances Harcourt-Brown was also there and she said she'd never come across a rabbit poisoned by eating a plant. Her instinct was that they were able to tell what was dangerous to them, although we all agreed that keeping plants such as deadly nightshade out of the garden was sensible.

Lovely photos :love:

The Tulip question is interesting. I have lots of Alliums that self-seed around the garden. I try to find any that can be reached through the rabbits' enclosure wire with greedy mouths, but they always find them first :roll: I do not think that the odd nibble is a concern if the rabbit is eating lots of other things as well. Clearly not advisable to deliberately feed though.

They look as though they had fun :)

excited they self seed, i bought some bulbs at xmas & happy they are coming through

You may find this interesting :

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/lant-toxicity-the-problem-with-lists

I've daffodils in the garden. Both have had a nibble and routinely nibble other "dangerous" plants such as Ivy.

Bunnies aren't stupid - it's difficult to poison them. Most plants have been reported dangerous in lab conditions where the rabbit is tricked into eating it, or house rabbits who have no other option of fresh available to them.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

its is heartening to hear my bunnies godmum citing FHB :)

Back