• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunnies are 5 weeks old?!

Mae

Young Bun
Hello, so I picked up my two bunnies Pipkin and Dandelion last Thursday. The lady who was supposed to give them to us was out so her husband showed us the litters and I picked out two (each from a different litter)

He told us that they were 12 weeks old (and I didn't know any better having never owned a rabbit before) and he didn't know the breed.

We took them into Pets at Home today and were told that they were only around 4 or 5 weeks old... And I think that they should still be with their mum until 8 weeks?

Anyway, we were told that Pipkin was a Netherland-Dutch and Dandelion was a Netherland-Lop.

We looked at the 8 week old bunnies that had been delivered to the store that morning and they were twice the size of my two...

I bought them both harnesses (not to wear until their older) and I got Pipkin the rabbit one which was slightly too large, and got Dandelion the ferret one which was actually miles too large and she managed to squeeze her head back through the hole and slipped out of it! Dandelion can actually sit in the palm of my hand, she is very very small and Pipkin is only slightly bigger...

They live in my bedroom, in the run, and they seem to like it a lot. They like cuddles, Dandelion more so, and absolutely love each other. Getting them from different litters, I thought that I would have to bond them and the man said that they might not get on. But they immediately became best friends and during the day they snuggle up next to each other and my mum thinks that this is because of their young age.

Obviously its hard to tell their gender when they are young and especially this young (around 12-14 weeks I think it was for gender?) but Ben (from PAH) told us he thinks that they are both female and to bring them back in a month for another check.

They're apparently both very healthy, and eating both hay, pellets, and cut grass (not from a lawnmower) but is there anything that I'm not doing that I should be doing because they're so young, or maybe they shouldn't be eating fresh grass yet?

My instincts tell me they shouldn't be eating fresh grass at such a young age but I may be totally wrong. I would have thought at 4 weeks they would still be weening off mum but again I could be totally wrong as never had any experience with baby bunnies. I am sure someone will come along and be more help.

My instincts tell me they shouldn't be eating fresh grass at such a young age but I may be totally wrong. I would have thought at 4 weeks they would still be weening off mum but again I could be totally wrong as never had any experience with baby bunnies. I am sure someone will come along and be more help.

Thank you, I won't be feeding them fresh grass again for a while (although Pipkin did seem to love it) and they eat their pellets fine so I guess it's aright?

Perhaps you could go back to the breeder when the wife is there so you can ask her if you can give them grass and find out exactly how old they are as this is very important. Giving baby rabbits grass or vegetables can make them very ill, and they can die, if they are not used to it.

Perhaps you could go back to the breeder when the wife is there so you can ask her if you can give them grass and find out exactly how old they are as this is very important. Giving baby rabbits grass or vegetables can make them very ill, and they can die, if they are not used to it.

I was going to do that, however if I went back to her, she would probably ask me to give them back and pick them up when they are old enough, however since she runs a farm and a lot of her rabbits get sold they would probably get sold - she actually promised me two other rabbits prior to this and she then sold them and just said that there were other rabbits and she didn't understand the emotional attatchment I'd had to them, or these... so my mum suggested to go back once they are around 3-4 months old

Back