• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My baby girl died suddenly, only 6, please help im distraught

I am so sorry for your heartbreaking loss.

Have you taken her body to the vet for an autopsy?

You might find that there was nothing to be done, sometimes bun's pass of renal failure or something that could not be treated.

on the other hand, it would be good to know if it is something that could potentially effect your dear boy as well, so knowing would be a good thing no matter what.

I know this is a hard time, but if possible, have it looked into. Your boy and all your future buns may benefit from it, as well as you sharing what is found here with us.

big hugs

Thank you everybody :( linette I thought about it for a moment but I don't like the idea of my little ones body being inspected by strangers :(

I'm torturing myself with thoughts of, what if I'd gotten that Kale I almost got two days ago, what if we'd gone out and got salad leaves or herbs or anything special to try her with the night she was unwell, what if we'd gotten just that little bit more water in her, what if we'd gone to the vets, what if we hadn't been out all weekend beforehand and had spent more time with them instead, maybe she'd have been happier and not taken ill...

Oscar is lonely already, they were constantly snuggling, grooming and laying down close together, I'm encouraging him to snuggle up to their toy hedgehog, he's been grooming it. I followed advice and let him be with her body for a while, he's been through all emotions with her, from bouncing around, to grooming her, to lying on her, to grooming himself over her, and lying down in front of her looking sad, I will sleep in the lounge with him for the foreseeable future until we can get him a companion :(

I am so sorry for your loss, sometimes bunnies go down hill fast. I joined here because one of my bunnies was not getting any better and the vets sent her home. I went back and she stayed there a few nights, then they said she was fine but she passed away less than an hour later when they had phoned to say we could bring her home. I never used that vets again.

I am so very very sorry for your loss:cry:. Please - try not to blame yourself - you gave your girl love and comfort right to the very end and that is what is important. Please don't torture yourself with 'ifs' and 'what onlys' = those just prolong the hurt and grief.

Lots of hugs to you.

xxxx

..................I will sleep in the lounge with him for the foreseeable future until we can get him a companion :(

That one line speaks volumes about what a kind and caring owner you are. That thought won't take away your grief at the moment but rest assured that Charlie knew just how much she was loved and that you always did what you thought was best for her.

That one line speaks volumes about what a kind and caring owner you are. That thought won't take away your grief at the moment but rest assured that Charlie knew just how much she was loved and that you always did what you thought was best for her.

This exactly.

I'm so sorry for your loss :cry::cry::cry:

Thank you so much everyone for your comfort it really has kept my head above the water today, only just, I can't thank you enough, I have her wrapped up with my favourite necklace that I wore every day in a big Tshirt of johns that she had nibbled, sofa bed set up with Oscar, candles on all the windows, a photo of my girl and a letter written to her, going to sleep one last time as a family, we will say goodbye to her tomorrow, this is the most difficult and heart breaking day of my life, thank you again for being there, love to you and your buns xxx

My heart is breaking for you :cry:

I am so so sorry you lost your precious girl.

Sweet dreams little one and much love to you and Oscar xx

Thank you so much everyone for your comfort it really has kept my head above the water today, only just, I can't thank you enough, I have her wrapped up with my favourite necklace that I wore every day in a big Tshirt of johns that she had nibbled, sofa bed set up with Oscar, candles on all the windows, a photo of my girl and a letter written to her, going to sleep one last time as a family, we will say goodbye to her tomorrow, this is the most difficult and heart breaking day of my life, thank you again for being there, love to you and your buns xxx

My heart is breaking for you. Just want you to know that me and my bun are lighting a candle right now and will have it burn this evening in her memory.

She is sending you bunny kisses from bunny heaven, she felt every second of your love.

So sorry for your sad loss. Charlie looks a real beauty in that picture.

Lots of vibes to you and Oscar. I hope you have a good nights sleep on the sofa with him nearby.

This is heart wrenching :cry:
It scares me to read this as I know this is how I will feel when I loose my boy, I cant loose him I just cant! :cry:

So sorry you have lost your beautiful Charlie. I hope you and Oscar can see each other through this difficult time.

Do you know the story of Rainbow Bridge - I really HAVE to believe in this.

Thinking of you xxx

Thank you everyone, this is hard beyond words, all three of us are unwell...

Oneofthefamily yes the rainbow bridge story is beautiful and I believe it... ~.~

We gave her a beautiful burial in our garden within view of our kitchen window, she had lots of flowers and the birds were singing, we stayed by her grave until well after dark reading a letter to her that I had written listing everything we loved about her, all the happy memories, everything we were sorry for, and how much she meant, was loved and will be missed, we read the rainbow bridge, cried and told her we loved her so much. We planted wildflower seeds and a rosemary plant and lit 5 candles and incense (incense carries your thoughts and prayers to the spirit world and the gods), when we felt ready to leave we went back inside and were standing at the kitchen window watching the candles flicker when suddenly there was a flash of lightning, there proceeded to be a storm of heavy rain and thunder and despite this the candles stayed lit for ages, I took it as a sign from the gods and the spirit world and Charlie that she is safe and well and we will meet again...

Oscar is not doing too well, I will have to start another thread as I'm going to need some help and support with this... ~.~

Have you considered that your bunny had EC it's like a tick, my bunny snuggsie died from this last year she died in a very similar way to your girl, she was fine one day then she didn't want to get up, when I picked her up she was a bit floppy and wasn't holding her self up, this lasted a few days, with her not going to the eating or drinking, and when she went to the bathroom she had horrible diarrhoea, i thought the had a tick paralysis as when she did walk she wasn't using her legs, after a trip to the vet they gave her some antibiotics, and a medicine to squirt in her mouth to act like food, she got no better over the weekend then one morning her situation changed as now she was sitting in the corner of her cage shaking I picked her up and she was even more floppy we told the vet we were on our way, but before I even had a chance to get dressed she had a seizure and passed away :( I later found out that she had EC, EC is like a tick that effects the brain, it makes the animal not want to eat and effects what they can and cant control, it can effect house pets as it can float in windows, here's a link, https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...N3ISKU&sig=AHIEtbR1V0Bkgl46nxoM3IZVX7iM5Uaz_Q

Back