• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mum rabbit has escaped

cdonk

New Kit
hi, our mum rabbit has escaped, and turns out she has gave birth yesterday! we have dad, and 3 young ones from her last litter, what do we do? we don't want to let them die, our daughter is upset enough! please any help appreciated!

they are all safe and separated! from the looks of it 2 babies have a bluey tint to their skin, but all are alive and moving, one was separated at the bottom area of our hutch, i moved it back with the others, this one was a bluey one, it cried and wriggled like mad.

iv'e just counted 8 babies and had a little check, the blue complexion is gone. more of a grey now.

she has escaped from the garden, last night is the first night i left them out their hutches, went fishing night before, fell asleep early last night.

thanks. they are all full suggesting they've been fed during the night, does anyone on here that you know of raised orphan rabbits? we are determined to not let them die.

Hopefully Mum will return to feed her babies perhaps overnight, unless a fox has caught her. If she is around she will know her babies need her. Good luck.

Handrearing from day one is difficult and rarely successful. If they fed last night I would leave them be today in the hope mum returns if not then you could give them water (boiled and cooled) tomorrow morning to tide them over while you continue to look. After that kitten or goats milk, but the odds of success are slim.

I's suggest searching for her, asking all your neighbours and checking vets/rescues to see if anyone has picked her up. You might also get luck with local rescues - if they have a doe with a litter then fostering them out gives them a much better chance.

Handrearing from day one is difficult and rarely successful. If they fed last night I would leave them be today in the hope mum returns if not then you could give them water (boiled and cooled) tomorrow morning to tide them over while you continue to look. After that kitten or goats milk, but the odds of success are slim.

I's suggest searching for her, asking all your neighbours and checking vets/rescues to see if anyone has picked her up. You might also get luck with local rescues - if they have a doe with a litter then fostering them out gives them a much better chance.

Thanks for all your advice , babies are on day 3 now and seem to be doing great been vets with them got goats milk and yacult for them to have there only taking 1ml but going toilet and seem very active , one is a bit slow sluggish smaller than the rest, but honestly even if one survived it would be a miricle we will keep trying our best and pray they survive x

Back