• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mucky bums! Please help a novice bunny owner!

Thanks Elena, I live on the borders too, but I will have to take the rabbits on my own, with my toddler in tow on my day off, so it would be quite difficult to go as far as maidstone and keep the bunnies and the toddler happy for the duration...

Sorry, meant to say thanks to all for the quick replies :)

Babsie - I am not really sure it is an urgent issue per se, as it isn't diarrohea. The cecals look just like they are supposed to, not unformed or runny. They have been with us over 4 weeks now, and although they leave cecotropes at night, they are otherwise very happy, active bright looking bunnies. They eat voraciously and drink lots, and aren't showing any signs of illness. They are a little less energetic since the 'hay diet', but I think that's probably just the reduction in energy, and having to work harder for their calories with all the hay munching.

Thanks Elena, I live on the borders too, but I will have to take the rabbits on my own, with my toddler in tow on my day off, so it would be quite difficult to go as far as maidstone and keep the bunnies and the toddler happy for the duration...

Sorry, meant to say thanks to all for the quick replies :)

Yes I can understand that. If you find other vets stumped by something though it really is worth it.

Babsie - I am not really sure it is an urgent issue per se, as it isn't diarrohea. The cecals look just like they are supposed to, not unformed or runny. They have been with us over 4 weeks now, and although they leave cecotropes at night, they are otherwise very happy, active bright looking bunnies. They eat voraciously and drink lots, and aren't showing any signs of illness. They are a little less energetic since the 'hay diet', but I think that's probably just the reduction in energy, and having to work harder for their calories with all the hay munching.

But if their health is good, they shouldn't have mucky bums - that is why I think they need to see vet. It is, of course, up to you as they are your rabbits - I'm just saying what I would do.

eta Just looked at this and it sounds a bit curt. Sorry, it wasn't meant to be.

Last edited:
But if their health is good, they shouldn't have mucky bums - that is why I think they need to see vet. It is, of course, up to you as they are your rabbits - I'm just saying what I would do.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

eta Just looked at this and it sounds a bit curt. Sorry, it wasn't meant to be.

No I do understand what you are saying Babsie - just that they seem very well in all other respects. I suspect that they may just be producing too many cecals too eat maybe, due to the diet. Or perhaps it may take a few days for the Burgess to leave the system....Anyway, I will try to bring my appointment with the vet forward if possible.

No I do understand what you are saying Babsie - just that they seem very well in all other respects. I suspect that they may just be producing too many cecals too eat maybe, due to the diet. Or perhaps it may take a few days for the Burgess to leave the system....Anyway, I will try to bring my appointment with the vet forward if possible.

Just a thought - are you sure they are caecals and not just soft 'ordinary' poos?

No I am fairly sure they are cecotropes as the ones that haven't been stamped on have the classic bunch of grapes appearance, they are shiny and smell awful. They are both doing plenty of normal poos, although as I say, they are a little darker since the hay diet.

Now have a vet appointment tomorrow for check over and first vaccinations so will speak to vet about the problem then. Thanks again.

That's good news!

By the way, hay should make for big, golden, crumbly poo, not darker.

Yes I know :? One of them is doing the big golden crumbly ones, the other bunny's regular poos have gone darker, not sure why. I think I may cut the timothy hay in case this is too rich, but hopefully the vet can advise.

Yes cut back to meadow hay and water only. If they are healthy in every other way this will do them no harm IMO.

If you want to check the vet you have chosen is rabbit savvy post a new thread asking for vet recommendation near your town.

Have you weighed them? It's a good idea to keep. Check on their growth.

Yes cut back to meadow hay and water only. If they are healthy in every other way this will do them no harm IMO.

If you want to check the vet you have chosen is rabbit savvy post a new thread asking for vet recommendation near your town.

Have you weighed them? It's a good idea to keep. Check on their growth.

Thanks Dusty. I haven't weighed them yet, as I have been stressing them out with all the cleaning :cry: so was reluctant to do anything else that might upset them at the moment. But I will ask the vet to weigh them tomorrow and will then keep a regular check on their weights.

Just wondering how you got on at the vet? Hope he could help.

Thanks for asking Babsie - the bunnies were examined and got a clean bill of health, plus they are now vaccinated so that is one thing done. I asked about the cecotropes and the vet seemed to think I was doing the right thing, just limiting to hay in the short-term to eliminate the potential problem. She wasn't unduly concerned and mentioned that this happens to lots of young bunnies and that the problem usually resolves as they get older. On a positive note, there were even less ceceotropes in the litter tray this morning and bunnies less messy, so I think that if I persevere as I am doing at the moment, hopefully, they should go soon enough. I have ordered some adult Science Selective too, so by the time that arrives I should be able to introduce them very slowly.

Thanks for asking Babsie - the bunnies were examined and got a clean bill of health, plus they are now vaccinated so that is one thing done. I asked about the cecotropes and the vet seemed to think I was doing the right thing, just limiting to hay in the short-term to eliminate the potential problem. She wasn't unduly concerned and mentioned that this happens to lots of young bunnies and that the problem usually resolves as they get older. On a positive note, there were even less ceceotropes in the litter tray this morning and bunnies less messy, so I think that if I persevere as I am doing at the moment, hopefully, they should go soon enough. I have ordered some adult Science Selective too, so by the time that arrives I should be able to introduce them very slowly.

Sounds as though you have it all under control - you obviously keep a careful eye on them. Good that you can tick vaccinations off your list.:)

Once you restart pellets I strongly recommend feeding in the morning only. My vet said that night time is when they should be eating up all their soft poos so feeding anything other than hay even if the afternoon is a no no. It helped a lot with my buns tummy troubles!

Once you restart pellets I strongly recommend feeding in the morning only. My vet said that night time is when they should be eating up all their soft poos so feeding anything other than hay even if the afternoon is a no no. It helped a lot with my buns tummy troubles!

Thanks Schtoffen - that does make sense to me. I think I will try to avoid pellets at night.

To be honest, even though they have only had hay to eat since Tuesday, I am still seeing cecotropes in the litter tray each morning, although none in the afternoon now. I know that it can take time to resolve this issue I am wondering if even feeding them too much hay could fill them up to the extent that they don't 'need' to eat their cecals? I have been topping up their hay rack probably 6-8 times a day since Tuesday, several times in the evening and before I go to bed. I know that hay should be unlimited, but I read somewhere that they only really need a pile of hay per day that is the same size as they are. Mine are currently getting through about 3-4 times that amount! Maybe if i go easy on toppping up the hay at night too, this may encourage them to eat their 'natural produce' :shock: I might be clutching at straws with that though :lol:

Back