• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving

Walli

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone,

Next week we are moving to our house :D and I´m not sure what would be best for Wallli. He is generally a very easily stressed bunny. The alternatives are:

1. We move him first thing in the morning before moving company arrives. We then place him and his things in one of the bedrooms of the house that the moving company doesn´t need to enter. They will have to go with a lot of things just outside his room though so I think it will be some loud noises. When the moving company is finished and we have prepared everything for him in the living room we will place him in the living room (he is freeroaming and lives in our living room).

2. We move him first thing in the morning before moving company arrives but we place him at my parents (5 minutes away from the house we are moving to). They are not at home so he will be alone during the day (I will obviously go and check on him a couple of times). It is very peaceful were they live. When the moving company have finished and we have prepared everything he needs in the living room I will go get him, I guess it will be sometime in the evening. So this will mean two new places for him during the day.

What alternative do you think is best?

I wish you happiness in your new home :)
I think the second option is better, because there can be a lot of noise from assembly and handling, this may stress the rabbit more

To be honest I think either alternative would work well. I guess if he's at your parents' house there's less likelihood of someone accidentally opening the door to the room he's in and him getting caught up in the chaos.

If it were me, I would weigh up which one is likely to cause him the most stress: being moved a couple of times or the noise and chaos of the move? Personally, I would probably opt to have him at your parents' house as it's so nearby and he won't have to make a lot of big journeys in one day. I'm sure he'd also appreciate the peace and quiet for when he has his daytime sleep.

Congratulations on the new house and good luck with the move 😀

I would opt for No 1 as long as you can be sure no-one will open the door. Can you put him in something where he will be safe while they are moving things?

Will he be more stressed by lots of noise around strangers while in a new space or in new area at your parents and followed by his new area at home with you.

I wish you happiness in your new home :)
I think the second option is better, because there can be a lot of noise from assembly and handling, this may stress the rabbit more
Thank you for your input :) I also think option 2 maybe is better...

To be honest I think either alternative would work well. I guess if he's at your parents' house there's less likelihood of someone accidentally opening the door to the room he's in and him getting caught up in the chaos.

If it were me, I would weigh up which one is likely to cause him the most stress: being moved a couple of times or the noise and chaos of the move? Personally, I would probably opt to have him at your parents' house as it's so nearby and he won't have to make a lot of big journeys in one day. I'm sure he'd also appreciate the peace and quiet for when he has his daytime sleep.

Congratulations on the new house and good luck with the move ��

Thank you :D

Thank you for your input :) I also think option 2 maybe is better...

I think your rabbit can handle a few hours but in a quiet environment. But it's harder for your bunny to cope with the constant loud noises of furniture assembly and moving. I am sure you will make the right decision for your rabbit. :)

I would opt for No 1 as long as you can be sure no-one will open the door. Can you put him in something where he will be safe while they are moving things?
Thank you, I can't be completely sure noone opens by mistake but I would really try yo avoid it of course.
He has kind of a wooden "table" from ikea were he has his hay and litter box. We have made holes in it for him. In a new situation I think he will mostly sit in here although I can't be completely sure of course:?
Maybe he will jump about a bit in the room but if someone would enter by mistake I am quite sure he would hurry in to his table...

Will he be more stressed by lots of noise around strangers while in a new space or in new area at your parents and followed by his new area at home with you.

I'm not sure what would stress him most. I think it is quite a big risk whatever I decide that he will gobinto stasis:(
He is very prone to both cecal dysbiisis and stasis :(

I think both options would be good, but I think I would personally go for the second one, as he'll have a quiet day where he can peacefully nap. With the first option, he would still move rooms after everything is done, so would still need to get used to a new space twice, so the only real difference is the 5-minute trip from your parents' house to yours, but I think that'd be preferable to him sitting in a noisy environment for a long time. Since you're afraid he will go into stasis, would it be an idea to consult with your vet and ask if he can get a low dose of gut motility meds as a preventative? That way he'll have some help to keep his guts going. But if giving him the medication would just stress him out, that would maybe not be worth it. Maybe make sure he gets a lot of fibre in the days leading up to it, possibly minimising his other foods so he'll eat a lot of hay?

Also, I hope you'll really enjoy living in your new house.

Given my experience of good moving people, definitely the second. It's noisy, lots of vibrations, differing light levels, the lot. 100% I'd take him t your parents. Don't underestimate the power of a blanket over a dog crate :thumb:

I think both options would be good, but I think I would personally go for the second one, as he'll have a quiet day where he can peacefully nap. With the first option, he would still move rooms after everything is done, so would still need to get used to a new space twice, so the only real difference is the 5-minute trip from your parents' house to yours, but I think that'd be preferable to him sitting in a noisy environment for a long time. Since you're afraid he will go into stasis, would it be an idea to consult with your vet and ask if he can get a low dose of gut motility meds as a preventative? That way he'll have some help to keep his guts going. But if giving him the medication would just stress him out, that would maybe not be worth it. Maybe make sure he gets a lot of fibre in the days leading up to it, possibly minimising his other foods so he'll eat a lot of hay?

Thank you! Really good points!
Good idea about gut stimulant, I think I may do that. Yes, he gets really stressed by medication but I think it is mostly the handling part and not the medication as such. And since I have to handle him to get him in the carrier I could give him a gut stimulant at the same time :)
His fiet is already just hay and grass and a bit dried herbs:)

Given my experience of good moving people, definitely the second. It's noisy, lots of vibrations, differing light levels, the lot. 100% I'd take him t your parents. Don't underestimate the power of a blanket over a dog crate :thumb:
Thank you! Yes, I guess it will be quite loud. The moving company will also take down some wardrobes and then reassemble some new wardrobes so it will be loud noises!
Good tip about the blanket!

I would go for the second option. He will be safe and in a familiar place at your parents. It also gives you peace of mind, and the time you need to sort out the rest of the move - things may take longer than anticipated, etc. He can then just be moved across when you can give him your attention and settle him in better at the new place. The last thing you need is something to happen to him at the new place in the middle of the actual moving chaos when there are strangers around and lots of big stuff being shifted.

option 2 for me too, it will mean his first experience of your new house will be a positive & calm one . It'll mainly be happening during snoozy time too. as long as he has familiar home comforts I'm sure hE'Ll Be fine.

Good luck with the move. Exciting times

I would go for the second option. He will be safe and in a familiar place at your parents. It also gives you peace of mind, and the time you need to sort out the rest of the move - things may take longer than anticipated, etc. He can then just be moved across when you can give him your attention and settle him in better at the new place. The last thing you need is something to happen to him at the new place in the middle of the actual moving chaos when there are strangers around and lots of big stuff being shifted.

Thank you! I' m leaning to option 2. Yes I am a bit afraid things will take longer than I anticipate!

option 2 for me too, it will mean his first experience of your new house will be a positive & calm one . It'll mainly be happening during snoozy time too. as long as he has familiar home comforts I'm sure hE'Ll Be fine.

Good luck with the move. Exciting times

Thank you so much!
Yes exciting and a bit nervous times:lol:

+1

+1

definitely!

good luck & i hope Walli copes ok :love:

Back