• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving house, suggestions needed!

buddabun

Warren Veteran
I'm moving house in September (getting married - yay!) but the house we are moving into has no lawn... There is lots of grass around the canals etc so what would anyone suggest for my buns to get some exercise? They're hosue buns and will have the whole top floor to roam around but they need to get outside and get some sunshine (although I'm moving to Wales so I'm not sure quite how much that will be).
I have tried them both on harnesses and needless to say they absolutely hate them.
Does anyone have any tips as to how I can either get them to like the harnesses (they're both very adamant against them) or else how to get them onto the grass without offending anyone (it's public property and quite well used)
Any suggestions would be much appreciated

some of mine took a while to get used to a harness.

make sure they have their own and has not been used by another bunny. maybe when putting them on, let them smell it and examine it. and maybe only let them wear it for short periods of time in the house and gradulally build up the length of time they spend wearing it and then venture outside.

4 of mine like the harness - i had no problems with getting them to wear it. although i had to run around quite fast to keep up with them :lol: :lol:
most of the time they would sit and eat the grass tho and every so often they would have there mad 5 minutes!!!

good luck.

could you put a run/pen outside???

thanks so much for your advice. I thought it was just a case of if they don't like it they don't like it but I will persist over the summer with the harnesses. As for getting a run, it is public property so I don't know if it would be a bit weird to carry my run around on a canal path. Maybe I should invest in some turf!! I would rip up the garden in a second but we're renting so I have to live with the ugly concrete :? Never mind.
Thanks for your help, I will make sure they grow to love their pretty harnesses even if my fiancé dos laugh at the idea!!
H
P.S. your bun 3rd fromt he left on the top row is so beautiful!!! what breed is she? a netherland dwarf perhaps? What a lovely collection or buns you have - you must be very proud :love:

Must admit that none of my houserabbits have ever been in our garden or anywhere outside since living with me. They seem to be perfectly happy with this.

Vera

really? mine love going scatty outside although they are a bit wimpy and are usually scrabbling at the door to be let in after 5 minutes or so. apparently they need 1 hour of daylight a day to get enough Vitamin D but I can't see how they wouldnt get this indoors just from windows etc... But it's good to know that yours are happy without going outside, I will try the harness but if it doesn't work, it's not the end of the world. Thanks

To be honest they will probably just enjoy being outside, whether there is grass or not, as long as they have plenty of good quality hay indoors.

Personally I don't like harnesses on rabbits, unless they have grown up with it from a baby - Sylvia is the only one who is tollerant of it, and even then she doesn't really like it. The others freak out if I put it anywhere near them (needless to say have only tried it once on Oli and Tilly, and not at all on Humphrey). If it is safe for your bunnies to roam around on the concrete bit, they will probably enjoy this. Sunlight is important as mentioned above. You could always grow some grass in trays for them... but they do tend to devour it in one sitting.

b-m

Only 2 out of 12 of my buns like the harness. Most are terrified or struggle.

My house buns have only started to be outside recently - & it's not more than half hour at a time, cos there's 12 & I have to supervise!! My garden will be bunny proof soon! :oops:

12 buns eh? that's impressive. I ind these 2 a handful but then I only have a small room at the mo. Well done caring for so many!

Double glazing prevents UV rays which is what bunnies needs to make vit D3. However, most pellets have vit D3 added so it's not an issue anyway. You said you didn't have grass, is that no garden or just a paved area? There is no reason bunnies have to be on grass, mine are happy running around on our patio and it wears their claws nicely too :)

I'd be wary about using a harness in a public area, you'd need to watch out for dogs as not everyone keeps their dogs on a lead. I'd ask you're vet about potential disease risks associated with canals too, they can house some nasty bugs but I don't know what if any would effect rabbits. I would guess you'd need to atleast worm them regularly.

Tam

I agree with Tams - I don't think it would be safe to take buns out on harnesses in a public area, it doesn't take long for a dog to appear from nowhere and you would be hard pushed to pick 2 bunnies up safely at any speed, and a big dog wouldn't necessarily leave them alone just because you were holding them. You also don't know what has been on grass in a public space, there could be all kinds of nasties from other animals, or even from wild rabbits (e.g. e.cuniculi, VHD, fleas carrying myxi etc), that could be harmful to yours if they eat it or are exposed to it. I'd definitely stick to creative use of your own property, whether that's having a little patch of turf somehow, an indoor growbag that you pick for them, or just making sure you feed lots of hay.

Thanks for all your advice. I do have a little patio which I was plannign to make use of anyway but it's good to know they won't be deficient in Vitamins. They get plenty of hay and fresh veggies so I suppose they can survive without grass

It's very easy to grow grass in tubes/pots/trays then they can have the fun of dugging/munching still. Plus, you don't even end up witha lawn full of holes :lol:

Back