• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mould

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
I've been giving Sophie and Casper their greens on a wooden plate, but I just saw this morning that it had mould on it! I'm sure it wasn't there last night when I gave them their evening salad. They get fresh veggies twice a day and then I remove everything that's left, so the mould wasn't on the greens themselves, but they did touch the plate. I know mould can be really dangerous to bunnies, so I'm really quite worried. Is there anything I can do? They seem totally fine right now. The vet on weekend duty isn't bunny savy, so I hope I won't need a vet. :(

I've been giving Sophie and Casper their greens on a wooden plate, but I just saw this morning that it had mould on it! I'm sure it wasn't there last night when I gave them their evening salad. They get fresh veggies twice a day and then I remove everything that's left, so the mould wasn't on the greens themselves, but they did touch the plate. I know mould can be really dangerous to bunnies, so I'm really quite worried. Is there anything I can do? They seem totally fine right now. The vet on weekend duty isn't bunny savy, so I hope I won't need a vet. :(
What sort of mould we talking? Colour? Very 3d or just dusty coating? Was it disturbed at all or still in tact?

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

What sort of mould we talking? Colour? Very 3d or just dusty coating? Was it disturbed at all or still in tact?

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
It looks like this:

kDvp9sXh.jpg

Casper was sitting right on top of it eating greens when I got up this morning. :( I don't know why it didn't occur to me that wood would get mouldy when wet. :(

My view is just throw the mouldy plate away now, watch and hope for the best. Chances are they'll be totally fine.

I would just stop using the wooden plate. Untreated damp wood will always harbour mould spores.

Thank you, SarahP and Shimmer. I took it away immediately when I saw it and have gotten rid of it now. I feel really foolish for not having thought of this happening with untreated wood... I do really hope they'll be fine. They're not acting any differently, but I don't know if maybe they'll get sick later.

I’m sure that they will be fine. You look after them very well and they are very lucky bunnies, I’m sure that this is the first time it’s been mouldy, and they can’t have eaten any of it because there are no lick marks on it.

I’m sure that they will be fine. You look after them very well and they are very lucky bunnies, I’m sure that this is the first time it’s been mouldy, and they can’t have eaten any of it because there are no lick marks on it.
Aw, thank you for saying that, Zoobec. That's very reassuring to hear.

Sending vibes they will continue to be well.
Thank you for the vibes, bunny momma. They're still the same as always, so I think they're okay...

Glad bunnies are doing ok, and hopefully due to your quick thinking they will be fine :thumb:

I thought I'd give an update and let you all know that Sophie and Casper are still doing well this morning, so I think we got very lucky and they're okay.

Back