• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Morse- 2nd March-Less Pus Today :-)

How is Morse doing, Jane?

Sending more vibes for one of my favourite RU buns with his gorgeous ears and squidgy face:love:

Well after just 24 hours on treatment Morse's ears are looking better. I have always known that the infection is chronic, but I was so upset to see a large amount of pus yesterday. But I guess what matters most is that Morse is happy within himself and not in pain. At the moment that appears to be the case :)

sorry Jane, I'm playing catch-up. What's wrong with Mrose's ears and what treatment is he having?

Hi Jill

He has chronic otitis externa- a chronic outer ear infection. He has been on various abx, both systemic and topical. Infact when at his worst he nearly died :cry: There are no abscesses...*touches wood*. Morse has 'structural problems' with his ears due to his breeding :cry: So without major invasive surgery it is unlikely that the infection can be gotten rid of for good. Even surgery would offer no guarantees and given how major it would be and how much post operative pain it would cause I am not prepared to put Morse through it.

This time we are holding off with systemic abx for now and just applying Baytril directly into the ear canals. I have to siphon out the pus first. He is also on Metacam xx

:shock: sounds nasty and hope he continues abscess free. How do you siphon out the pus? (Maybe that's not we should be discussing at tea-time :oops:)

:shock: sounds nasty and hope he continues abscess free. How do you siphon out the pus? (Maybe that's not we should be discussing at tea-time :oops:)

By sucking it out through a very small catheter.........and trying to remember not to swallow......... :?

Well after just 24 hours on treatment Morse's ears are looking better. I have always known that the infection is chronic, but I was so upset to see a large amount of pus yesterday. But I guess what matters most is that Morse is happy within himself and not in pain. At the moment that appears to be the case :)

yay morse! i know the feeling of having a shock in the morning when i first saw caspers abcess but once i calmed down i saw he was happy as can be, and i think that is the main thing :) i really hope the infection continues to decrease xx

Back