• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mittens - Flase Pregnacy??

ACowan182

New Kit
Hi Guys,

I couldn't find any other threads about this but on Saturday afternoon I noticed my 4 year old lionhead Mittens' fur was looking a bit thin below the chin, then on Sunday night when giving her treats I could see a fairly large bald spot had appeared underneath her chin (you can only see it when she raises her head). I was fairly alarmed by this but she was eating, pooping etc. I took her to the vets yesterday and she said it looked like she'd pulled it out herself as if she was nesting.

Mittens was spayed before I adopted her and has had absolutely no contact with any male rabbits but she has been sitting in weird places and maybe been slightly off i.e. less binkys than normal. Ive read in a few places about false pregnancies and wonder if that's what it could be? Has anyone experienced this before? If so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I couldn't find any other threads about this but on Saturday afternoon I noticed my 4 year old lionhead Mittens' fur was looking a bit thin below the chin, then on Sunday night when giving her treats I could see a fairly large bald spot had appeared underneath her chin (you can only see it when she raises her head). I was fairly alarmed by this but she was eating, pooping etc. I took her to the vets yesterday and she said it looked like she'd pulled it out herself as if she was nesting.

Mittens was spayed before I adopted her and has had absolutely no contact with any male rabbits but she has been sitting in weird places and maybe been slightly off i.e. less binkys than normal. Ive read in a few places about false pregnancies and wonder if that's what it could be? Has anyone experienced this before? If so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It is unusual for a Doe spayed many years ago to have a pseudopregnancy, how long ago was her spay ? If she has been nesting you would see evidence of a nest in the hutch/cage/base she uses. Sometimes fur plucking can be indicative of pain. Did the Vet fully examine Mittens or did she just look at the bald area ?

I would go back to the vet and get her checked out again if you think there is still an issue - particularly ask for a good feel round her jawline and a look at her back teeth with an otoscope. Loss of fur under the chin can be due to drooling, which is indicative of a dental issue. Could also be moulting (it's that time of year), mites (unusual location), rubbing on something, plucking the fur (her or another bun).....the list goes on. Keep an eye on what she is eating - is she avoiding something she normally eats (eg hay?) - and keep an eye on her poo (normal quantity, size, colour?).

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Hi there

Did the vet check her teeth? Sometimes a rabbit can have dental issues, and dribbles and this can cause fur loss under the chin. Also, it could have irritated her there so she pulled the fur out .....

I would go back to the vet and get her checked out again if you think there is still an issue - particularly ask for a good feel round her jawline and a look at her back teeth with an otoscope. Loss of fur under the chin can be due to drooling, which is indicative of a dental issue. Could also be moulting (it's that time of year), mites (unusual location), rubbing on something, plucking the fur (her or another bun).....the list goes on. Keep an eye on what she is eating - is she avoiding something she normally eats (eg hay?) - and keep an eye on her poo (normal quantity, size, colour?).

Had exactly the same thought and cross posted with you Shimmer :D

Hey thanks for all the replies guys! The vet checked her over completely. There's been no drooling and she's been eating hay, drinking and eating her greens all as normal. The only thing I've noticed asides from the hair pulling is she hasn't been as bouncy as usual. She was spayed just over a year ago. The only thing that it might be is loneliness?? Her sister Rolo died a few months ago after a 10month battle with megacolon (super traumatic for all involved). Mittens was much happier after Rolo died as they were fighting/tense with each other cause Rolo was in and out of the vets constantly. Mittens is settled but maybe she might be bored/lonely? I'm going to get her a load of new toys today, she lives in the living room with me and is free roaming but perhaps that isn't enough now?

Back