• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mistletoe- pm results, post 53

Thank you everybody, but Mistletoe was PTS about 20mins ago. Her bloat had blown up again and she was in great pain, the vet had tried everything. We rushed over and to be honest I made a fool of myself by clutching st straws about any other options, but the vets had tried everything. We were with her, she was sedated first and injected through her IV tube. The vet will do a pm tomorrow, we all want to try and find out what went wrong and also if it is possibly something the others may be at risk of developing.:cry:

So sorry to read this halfpenny, at least you gave her every chance which is loads more than her former owners would have done I feel. :cry:

I'm so sorry. :cry:
By the time I had brought up a window to post vibes she had passed. I am so very sorry. :cry::cry:
You did all you could. She knew she was loved and you saved her from a sad and lonely life.
(((((((((((((Huge hugs to you))))))))))))))))))

Mistletoe's pm results haven't really helped much, there was no blockage, her caecum was filled with partially digested fibrous material and there were mucous covered poops in her intestine. All the vet can say is that her guts stopped working for some unknown reason and there was nothing we could have done to prevent it. :cry:
I wonder if it was the same issue as your Albus, parsnip bun, and it was due to the fact her system could not cope with hay after living for so long without it. The good news is, it wasn't a deformity likely to affect the other.
It just kills me that she spent 3 year being kept wrongly and dies 2 months after coming here.

Mistletoe's pm results haven't really helped much, there was no blockage, her caecum was filled with partially digested fibrous material and there were mucous covered poops in her intestine. All the vet can say is that her guts stopped working for some unknown reason and there was nothing we could have done to prevent it. :cry:
I wonder if it was the same issue as your Albus, parsnip bun, and it was due to the fact her system could not cope with hay after living for so long without it. The good news is, it wasn't a deformity likely to affect the other.
It just kills me that she spent 3 year being kept wrongly and dies 2 months after coming here.

:cry:

Are they sending samples off to check for pathogens such as coccidia ?

Might be worth mentioning it incase as your Vet may suggest treating your other Rabbits as a precaution.

I am so sorry that she could not recover :cry:

Back