• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Miracle cleaning product for bunny toilets and litter trays - just discovered!

I swear by the boiled white vinegar method! Leaves the littertray looking as good as new!

I swear by the boiled white vinegar method! Leaves the littertray looking as good as new!

Ditto this.

I use cheap brown vinegar. You only need to use white in cleaning if you are using it on something that will stain (eg if you were using it in washing).

If you've got spare litter trays etc, I find leaving things to soak for a long time in vinegar gives sparkling results. You don't have to heat it then. Of course, you have to leave it somewhere where you won't mind the stink!

If you've got spare litter trays etc, I find leaving things to soak for a long time in vinegar gives sparkling results. You don't have to heat it then. Of course, you have to leave it somewhere where you won't mind the stink!

:thumb:

When Alfie was away being bonded with Lola I left all the litter trays to soak in brown vinegar (cold water) for the best part of the day, then scrubbed them with a brush (it didn't need any elbow grease, but it needed a scrub to 'lift' the marks) and the stains that had been on there for a couple of years :oops::oops: came clean off. :D

Spenser's basin is a dark burgundy colour. I don't think staining would show up. :? I also use a very thick layer of newspaper.

warm citric acid (made up from the granules sold in the homebrew section) works a treat too. 10g of granules to 200ml warm water. Discovered by accident as that was the method for descaling E's bottle steriliser & bottle warmer....!

I read about hot vinegar on here a while ago and was so thrilled by the results I posted it on Facebook :oops:

I've now done nearly ALL my trays and toilets with the heavy duty stuff - AMAZING - they are definitely like new - will be using vinegar on a regular basis now the hardest bit has been done and I will keep some heavy duty stuff for emergency use - well recommended if you are like me and fell by the wayside with your litter trays :oops::oops:

Yup. White for pickling, brown for your chips (or litter trays) :thumb:.

Well, I've learned something today - white vinegar for pickling. I'm sure I used brown (mind you in the days I used to pickle onions don't think white vinegar existed! :lol:)

I used this today and the trays came up clean after 2 years of scale on them! Really great :D

Anyone else use BROWN vinegar as opposed to white??

Yep I always use the cheapo brown. I don't boil it though cos this makes it lose the acid, just heat it hand hot.
It doesn't matter what form of acid you use, for the rabbits as long as you rinse well after descaling.
Vinegar is probably kinder on the plastic.
It only needs to be white if you're getting urine stains out of carpet /fabric, cos the brown can stain fabric in it's own right.
My water is some of the hardest in the country, so when I do Benjie's tray (x1/week) I go round the taps, shower screen & kettle with vinegar too. Yep it's clothes peg on nose & all windows open in my house on Wed.:lol:

I used this today and the trays came up clean after 2 years of scale on them! Really great :D

Really??!! The stuff I recommended??!! Isn't it BRILLIANT? After trying the vinegar without success I went and got some more and now have a BIG pile of beautifully clean trays and toilets!

Back