• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mini lop housing

I have my mini lop Matilda in a 120 cage, but she has constant acsess to my room, and as I have found out neither male of female makes any difference!! lol

It is recommended that does should be spayed because it stops aggressive or hormonal behavior, many does become grumpy if not spayed, stops phantom pregnancys and if does are left unspayed they have a very high chance if getting uterine cancer I believe.

80-85% of unspayed females develop uterine cancer by the age of 4 :(

on a lighter note, a female having a phatom pregnancy is NOT something you want to cross. Before I knew better when I was a kid we had an unspayed doe. I had to wear oven gloves just to change her food!

defo i trip to the vets if i end up getting a baby doe.
how old do they have to be and how much does it usaly cost.

vaccs are £10-30 each (you need two, vhd once a year and myxi twice a year)
neuter female - £50-£130 not including painkillers to take home
neutering a male is a bit less
it all depends on your vets as to the cost.

getting a rabbit from a rescue with all this done already- £35-50
hence why my next rabbit will be from a rescue!

eta: spaying females is done from 12 weeks onwards, but some vets like to wait till they are 6 months old

Last edited:
for accommodation i use two puppy pens fastened together to make one largish compound, as my destructa-buns can't free range unsupervised or i'd have nothing left. they have a few hours outside the compound daily. in there, they have a nero 3 (they had one each as babies - way too small, vast waste of money but handy 'hide') with the end panel taken off so they can hop in and out at will. they go in there for their afternoon snooze.

Hello - I realise this is a very old post, but I am really interested in building my own cage - could you give me some more details about what you got your wire from? Many thanks

Hello - I realise this is a very old post, but I am really interested in building my own cage - could you give me some more details about what you got your wire from? Many thanks

Hi there Natalie :wave:

I would begin your own thread, as sometimes the people who were about when this was written no longer post.

Welcome to the Forum :D

Back