• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Milo's poorly. :( update post 15.

There are so many factors to consider. Is he otherwise in very good health ? Is he an 'old' 9 year old Rabbit or is he still very spritely ?

I would discuss the issue of the actual cause of the fracture-ie is it likely to be trauma related or could it be pathogenic, meaning an underlying disease process is present ?

And obviously the financial aspect has to be considered, blunt but true and if he is not insured then is £1000 bill going to put you into a serious financial situation. It would me. I know people say 'its not about the money' but in reality sometimes it cant be totally ignored. Not all of us can access £1000 at the drop of a hat.

Will the Vet keep him stable on treatment overnight to give you and your OH more time to discuss things more ?

He is in relatively good health for his age but yes £1000 is a lot of money. It's also the after care that worries me especially as he is not a young bun who can bounce straight back. Hubby has said the money is the main issue and the fact that he is nearer the end of his life than the start is also a factor with such a lot of money to buy a small amount of time, he thinks it's unfair to Milo too. He is thinking with his head but I am thinking with my heart as I love this bunny so much.

Could you just have the x ray first to see how expensive it would be to fix if money is the main issue, and see if he's likely to have a good quality of life if it is repaired?

So sorry you're facing such a difficult decision xxx

He is in relatively good health for his age but yes £1000 is a lot of money. It's also the after care that worries me especially as he is not a young bun who can bounce straight back. Hubby has said the money is the main issue and the fact that he is nearer the end of his life than the start is also a factor with such a lot of money to buy a small amount of time, he thinks it's unfair to Milo too. He is thinking with his head but I am thinking with my heart as I love this bunny so much.

Maybe have another chat with the Orthopod' Vet.

In an ideal world we would all want to say that money is not a factor to think about. But this is the real world and for many of us £1000 is a vast amount.

Quality of life after surgery is another issue. If his recovery were to be protracted then he could spend his final year going back and forth to the Vet, maybe having to have more surgery if the fracture is initially pinned.

If he were a 6 year old Rabbit it would be a different matter, but at the age of 9 the surgical procedure and all that comes afterwards will be a lot for him to cope with. Not totally impossible. But just because something can technically be done does not always mean it is ethically right to do it.

I'd ask the Vet if more time to talk and think about it all is an option. Milo will be on good pain relief and any other treatment he needs.

Is amputation an option? I had a bun with a broken leg and it was amputated (they tried to pin it first, but it couldn't be done), and it was nowhere near £1000. More like a couple of hundred. He recovered quickly and coped well on three legs. He was a much younger bun though. Sending lots more vibes for Milo xx

I'm so so sorry :( He will have had a wonderful 9 years with you. I know it's no consolation, but I'm sure that he was an incredibly lucky to have you as his mama xxx

Back