• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Milo is trying to hump Finn! UPDATE: OPTED NOT TO HAVE ABDOMINAL SURGERY

Update!

Milo and Finn went to the vets at 10:30 today, the vet nurse was very nice and had another look at the two boys and she said again that they are definitely two boys! However, still no testicles descended, even after all the humping Milo did last night, we asked about them going back up with fear of being at the vets and she said that is possible but its normally still possible to feel them?

After chatting with her the vet nurse said that she thinks with their plumbs still not appearing at all by 4 and a half months that they could be inverted? :? She has booked them in for next Friday to have the operation even if it means going through the abdomen rather than a normal castration? Im a little worried about this I must admit...

She advised that we keep them apart for now but nearby and allow them to eat side by side for a little bit each day, she also thought that Finn was a little overweight and Milo underweight? So it looks like while they are apart I will be reducing Finns intake and upping Milos. :?

I'm not sure what to think really? She said its dangerous for them to have descended so this was the best thing to do?

Personally I would want to wait a few more weeks to see if they come down. If they are not down by about 6 months I'd then opt for surgery

Also, I would not want to put an underweight or an over-weight Rabbit through invasive surgery under GA unless it was absolutely essential.

I emphasise that this is just my unqualified opinion xx

Personally I would want to wait a few more weeks to see if they come down. If they are not down by about 6 months I'd then opt for surgery

Also, I would not want to put an underweight or an over-weight Rabbit through invasive surgery under GA unless it was absolutely essential.

I emphasise that this is just my unqualified opinion xx

I'm really lost I have no idea what to do....I'm going to have to keep them apart for such a long time if I wait much longer? Surely the vets would not suggest this way of doing it if it wasn't safe?

I'm really just depressed about all this, i'm getting so many mixed messages and not a clue what to do about it....Just feel like crying. :cry:

How much do they each weigh?

I have no experience of boys, but I agree with Jane. I wouldn't want to put them through that op, when it's possible that they still haven't dropped?

As for separating them, I had to separate Maizie and Daisy, they were pretty insistent on being together though. I would allow them to be together when I could supervise so I could stop any potentially aggressive behaviour, but separated them when I went out/to bed/for a shower etc.

How much do they each weigh?

I have no experience of boys, but I agree with Jane. I wouldn't want to put them through that op, when it's possible that they still haven't dropped?

As for separating them, I had to separate Maizie and Daisy, they were pretty insistent on being together though. I would allow them to be together when I could supervise so I could stop any potentially aggressive behaviour, but separated them when I went out/to bed/for a shower etc.

Finn is around 1.6 kg and Milo is just over 1kg. :( But I have thought before that Finn looks quite a bit bigger. The vet nurse said its obvious he's been hogging all the food...for now i'm just going to give Finn a sprinkle of pellet in the morning and Milo his normal amount...normal amount of unlimited hay for both and a small piece of veg at night for Finn and normal for Milo.

Last edited:
Finn is around 1.6 kg and Milo is just over 1kg. :( But I have thought before that Finn looks quite a bit bigger. The vet nurse said its obvious he's been hogging all the food...
That is a big difference :shock: Maizie weighed 1.3 and Daisy weighed just over 1 when I had them spayed and they didn't tell me that either is over or underweight :? I was told by my vet it's best to go by feel rather than weight after the first vet marble saw said she was overweight, but the rabbit savvy vet said she was fine :roll:

That is a big difference :shock: Maizie weighed 1.3 and Daisy weighed just over 1 when I had them spayed and they didn't tell me that either is over or underweight :? I was told by my vet it's best to go by feel rather than weight after the first vet marble saw said she was overweight, but the rabbit savvy vet said she was fine :roll:

Well as I said I'm going to adapt their food intake to account for this. I know it should be but its not my main concern now....I'm so worried about this operation but I've been told by a vet that they should have it done? I'm just so lost...I've been stressing over this for weeks now and getting really upset about it all now...just don't know what to do for the best..

Well as I said I'm going to adapt their food intake to account for this. I know it should be but its not my main concern now....I'm so worried about this operation but I've been told by a vet that they should have it done? I'm just so lost...I've been stressing over this for weeks now and getting really upset about it all now...just don't know what to do for the best..
Only you can make that decision, like I said, I've not had boys so not sure about the risks etc. Maizie and Daisy were humping each other for weeks before it started becoming excessive, and I worried about aggression, I'm not sure how different boys are though?

Only you can make that decision, like I said, I've not had boys so not sure about the risks etc. Maizie and Daisy were humping each other for weeks before it started becoming excessive, and I worried about aggression, I'm not sure how different boys are though?

I really don't know...I might ring my vet and discuss the possible complications and necessity of it...

I would seperate them now and not let them have any time together,fighting will happen in a split second and once that happens it will be very difficult to rebond them,buns remember who they fight so if it was me id completly seperate them now until a couple of months after neuter,speak to your vet and if they are rabbit savy and they say operate then i would listen to the professions and do that, goodluck

I would be inclined to agree with Jane - give them some more time. I know you are afraid they won't go back together but I think you will have to risk this. I wonder if they are afraid of showing their plums in case the other boy attacks? Would they do this? Maybe, when living separately, they will drop when there is no fear - I don't know.

I think that yesterday when I looked at Milo to see if he had any plumbs yet I saw something, are they only really small on Mini lops? I'm sure when I parted his fur I could feel and slightly see something there! I really hope that they do get them before Friday as I'm so worried about the operation.

I don't know what it is but I just have this feeling that they are doing a really really good job of hiding them at the vet...what I saw on Milo was sooo hard to see I had to really part his fur in just the right spot. Is there a chance that when they go under GA they will show them? I don't know what it is I just feel like they are hiding what they have...

I would be inclined to agree with Jane - give them some more time. I know you are afraid they won't go back together but I think you will have to risk this. I wonder if they are afraid of showing their plums in case the other boy attacks? Would they do this? Maybe, when living separately, they will drop when there is no fear - I don't know.

I have put them right next to each other at the minute so they can still smell/see each other all the time. I hoping that by doing this once they have the operation and recover in their own areas in view of one another they won't have lost the bond..

I've rang my vets and they are going to give me a ring back to discuss this surgery?

I just want to know what they are going to do and what is the success rate with this sort of thing...
I also want to ask if the vet feels this is really necessary at this point? As obviously the boys are fine apart from Milo wanting to hump Finn all the time.

I was told that the surgery is generally like that of a spay only on a boy. So obviously the boys will need longer to heal and medication for pain relief afterwards? Also there is the fact that I think Milo now has something ''down there' not sure if its the testicles or just the 'sac' if you like but..

All I can think to do is to discuss it with my vet..

Just been speaking to a lovely vet nurse who confirmed what I thought really. She said that they are still very young at 4 and a half months and she thinks that this type of abdominal surgery was too invasive and they still had lots of time to develop.
Shes book us in for Friday 1st August to be checked for anything again (they will be 5 and a half months then) and then if there is something they can go ahead and do the regular castration surgery.

I definitely much prefer this, Its a real shame that the boys are going to now have to be apart, wait a full month and then the recovery time if they can have the op then to go into their new enclosure together. :( We had everything ready too!

But at least I'm making the right decision for my boys, in the meanwhile I can look for anything developing myself and the vet even said that I can continue to allow them to be together for supervised visits if I want to. But I'm not sure I want to risk a fight, the boys are still really close together and can see and smell each other all of the time.

So, does anyone have any tips on how I can still keep their bond strong while we wait for this check and surgery? I really want them to be able to be together, I feel guilty right now as they are sniffing at each other all of the time. Poor lads!

Hiya

My Millie and Dylan were 8 week old brother and sister when they cam to me and I kept them together. Anyhow when they go to around 4 months they started humping each other so I separated them. I used to swap them into each other's living space every couple of days so they rummage around - a bit like nosing in your siblings bedroom :lol:

Once they were both neutered and healed they went back together with no bother. Xx

Sending nose rubs for both of your boys as they are gorgeous :love::love:

Last edited:
I think that yesterday when I looked at Milo to see if he had any plumbs yet I saw something, are they only really small on Mini lops? I'm sure when I parted his fur I could feel and slightly see something there! I really hope that they do get them before Friday as I'm so worried about the operation.

Not really, Hershel's were MASSIVE for such a small bunny. :lol: :lol: His also descended early by 10 weeks.
George who is a Dwarf Lop was mistaken for a girl until he was 5 months old as his were small and well hidden. :D

They were both then neutered quickly at 5 months as we wanted to try and bond them and was waiting until George (when he was a girl) could be spayed.
George got done first and then Hershel a week later. Hershel handled his neuter with flying colours, he was neutered late in the afternoon and then came home in the evening and wasn't even phased about it.

Not really, Hershel's were MASSIVE for such a small bunny. :lol: :lol: His also descended early by 10 weeks.
George who is a Dwarf Lop was mistaken for a girl until he was 5 months old as his were small and well hidden. :D

They were both then neutered quickly at 5 months as we wanted to try and bond them and was waiting until George (when he was a girl) could be spayed.
George got done first and then Hershel a week later. Hershel handled his neuter with flying colours, he was neutered late in the afternoon and then came home in the evening and wasn't even phased about it.

I'm keeping my eyes open for them haha. Still can't see anything prominent. But hopefully in the four weeks before they go to be checked for them they will appear. :shock:

I think Mimzy was at least 8 months old before we had him neutered...and although I'm no expert and he was my first bunny...I still thought he was a girl! By the time he was done and I had to check the suture area, I had to wonder how in the world I didn't know THOSE were there! :shock: For just a wee three pound bunny the scars were hyooge! But for all the times I'd ever picked him up or checked his bum there was no sign of them. It took the vet putting a practised hand down there to tell me, "Oh yeah, we got a boy here!" :roll:
I felt so bad for calling him "Madame Mim" all that time!
It wasn't until a few weeks afterwards that we had adopted Pip and then another couple of weeks before we even thought of putting them together (we'd had no idea you could bond bunnies back then) so he was well healed and ready for company by that time. He never had a problem with the two REW's he was abandoned with even though they were constantly spraying him. Until he got head tilt he was always my zen bunny. Very submissive.

I think lots of folks have good luck putting two bunnies back together after a neuter. I bet they'll be fine. :D

Back