• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Microchipping rabbits?

I'm just curious how you would chip a rabbit like a nethie..My vet recommended we wait to chip our Chihuahua until she was bigger (2.5 kg) and nethies are much smaller than that..
My Nethie is chipped.
My local rescue chips buns, cat & dogs but not guineas or farm animals.

Mine are not, but if they ever move outside they will be just in case they escape. It may not be likely that they will be scanned - but they might and that's good enough for me!

I am thinking of chipping mine, they are giant breeds. I think if a giant breed does escape they won't be mistaken for wild rabbits cos of their size and that makes them more likely to be caught.

I heard that microchipping can give a rabbit statica? Is that back trouble? I thought the chip goes into the fat nowhere near bones.

Sciatica is compression of the sciatic nerve which occurs around the lumbo-sacral region of the back - nowhere near where the chip is placed as it is usually placed under the skin around the shoulders.

I'm just curious how you would chip a rabbit like a nethie..My vet recommended we wait to chip our Chihuahua until she was bigger (2.5 kg) and nethies are much smaller than that..

I can microchip 8/9 week old kittens (dont worry Im trained to :lol:) which are a similar size to my nethies :wave:

Back