• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

metacam dose *update*

oh, and i haven't seen him go to the toilet today. he did some poops in the night but none today.

I think you need to try to contact a Vet. Your Vet should have some out-of-hours arrangements. Matt may need additional medication to get his guts working.
Please try to contact a Vet as it sounds as though Matt needs more help.

Good luck :)

he just did some poops and they're small. he is eating grass but won't touch anything else.
i'll ring the vets now and see what they suggest.

Have you tred some softened pellets? It sounds like he's favouring soft foods so might have some soreness in his mouth from the dental?

i tried soaked pellets and he wouldn't have any.
my mum has just been round with some dandelion leaves and willow twigs for him and he ate those and went to the toilet and the poops are bigger now. i've given him a tummy massage and he's perked up alot. :) he went looking for veg so i gave him some parsley and spring greens and a few pellets and he's eaten alot of that and he's now back on the toilet and eating some hay aswell so i'm really happy. :D
bisc and matt get so excited when we have visitors, they loved my mum coming round just now and she cheered matt up. she's lovely bless her. and she loves them so much.
can't wait for my bf to get back from work later because matt always wants my bf when he's feeling down. (he just sees me as the one forcing him to take gentle exercise and eat!) but i know my bf will beable to get him eating more hay. he turns it into a game and matt loves that.
i rang the vets and they said he sounds like he's doing better now than before and keep an eye on him, keep him hydrated and moving around and try and increase the amounts he eats and bring him in if he stops eating, which obviously i would anyway.
i'm going to ring aidan my vet in the morning anyway and tell him what's happened so maybe he will give me something else for matt monday when we go to pick up the penicillin. maybe some different probiotics or something.
but for now matt seems alot better. :D

yeh, i burst into tears when he started eating and again when i saw him poop. :oops:
fingers crossed he keeps eating. i'll update as usual! :)

:)

That's good news!.. and theyr'e in GREAT hands... they just like test our stress levels I think, keep us on our toes.. I noticed with my bun it can sometimes take him a couple of days to get back to normal from any kind of treatment etc... it's like they suddenly realise they can relax and be themselves again then perk up..

M

update - he's eaten half a bowl of veg and some more dandelion leaves. he will only drink water from a bowl and guzzles it down. least he is drinking.
it's strange though because he won't eat hay and they usually eat hay all the time, they seem to prefer it to everything else. he has had a few little nibbles of it but not alot.
he did a few poops, small though.
is there anything else i can do to make him go to the toilet? will he eventually get his gut moving faster and his poops will return to normal?

does anyone know how i can get matts food moving better through his system? isn't there pineapple juice/soaked pellet formula that helps or something like that? i think he has gas too. i've given him a tum massage and he went and did some poops after, and i thought i could smell a weird gassy smell.
i tried ringing the vets again and it's engaged all the time. i'll keep trying though.
if i give him a formula for it like the pineapple, will that do him any harm if it's not stasis? he has had stasis before but he isn't as bad as that time.

phoned a different emergency vet and they said aslong as he is eating bits of food and drinking and passing some poops then he should be ok until the morning when i can take him to my normal vets.
guess it's another long night for me then.

How are the buns today?
I might not be able to reply because I keep losing my :censored: internet connection

they're ok thanks. matt is lots better. i gave him tum rubs through the night and today he is much brighter and is back to chasing bisc round and he ran around when i went to get a few pellets. he just won't eat as much hay as normal, although he is eating some.
when i gave bisc his medicine before i felt his tum to compare it to matts yesterday and matts tum was awful yesterday. poor bun, it must have been painful. he is on metacam as you know for inflammation, but he improved after it so that's probably why he's ok because it's used for pain aswell isn't it.
i'm going to keep a close eye on him today and carry on with the tum rubs and see how he goes. and obviously i'll take him to the vets if he gets worse. but for now he's doing really well.
my bf is going to ashleigh vets tomorrow to pick up their penicillin so i'm going to give him a letter to give to aidan just so he knows about matt yesterday and then he can get back to me. i find it easier to explain writing it down and get all stuttery on the phone and then forget to ask everything i wanted to. :oops:
so fingers crossed for today. hope matt will keep doing well. :)

so happy because matt is back to eating as much hay as he used to...which is ALOT! i'm lucky they love hay so much. his poops are looking great...nearly completely back to normal and finally a nice golden colour! :)
they both only drink from the bowl now and have decided they don't want to use the bottles anymore. bit strange to suddenly change but whatever bunnies want, bunnies get! :lol:

Back