• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metacam Dose Rates- NB Do Not Alter Dose Without CONSULTING YOUR OWN VET !!

But my point is why bother with that additional step? If there is a perfectly fitting syringe which fits into the bottle and allows you to measure the right amount of product to give, why bother then decanting it from that into yet another syringe? It's just a completely pointless additional step IMO!
It's not a completely pointless additional step if your vet prescribes in ml!

I thought I'd share the way I do it as I hadn't seen it mentioned that it's possible (and easy!) to decant it from the larger syringe into a smaller syringe - as opposed to what you mentioned in your post about making a sticky mess over your hands and table. It makes for more accurate dosing for smaller rabbits too, IMO.

If your vet prescribes in ml, it's an easy way to do it, and takes only a few seconds.

Last edited:
It's not a completely pointless additional step if your vet prescribes in ml!

Oh absolutely - all I was trying to say is that it's a potentially superflous step given that the vet can precribe it in terms of the dog dose and hence it can be drawn up directly from the syringe which comes with the product rather than having to prise the top off or decant from one syringe to another. Of course if you've been prescribed it in ml it is a way to achieve it - but I was really just making the point in reply to the comment about not understanding why all vets don't prescribe in ml...whereas I don't understand why they do - it just create unnecessary steps as far as I can see, not least because we have previously been warned that metacam becomes ineffective very quickly once it's been drawn up, so why risk exposing it to the light and air more than necessary.

I think I will just have to agree to disagree with those who find it easier to have it prescribed in ml! (Edit: although Hugo's There makes a good point about multiple bunnies - I can imagine it is better to have it in ml in that scenario so a different syringe can be used to draw up all the doses for each individual bunny).

Last edited:
My vet always prescribes Metacam in millilitres but I use the large dog syringe to get the Metacam out of the bottle and then fit a small 1ml syringe onto it and draw the Metacam into it, which works a treat. :)

This is what we do. It makes life so much easier when you have a large number of doses to do at the same time too

Fair enough if you find that - but I honestly don't see why it would be any more or less of an ordeal, the small dog syringe nozzle is a very slightly different size so that it fits over the top of the bottle, but the difference between that and a normal 1ml syringe is so minute that I really can't for one minute see why one would be more of an ordeal than the other :? Each to his own I suppose!
:thumb: :)

Oh absolutely - all I was trying to say is that it's a potentially superflous step given that the vet can precribe it in terms of the dog dose and hence it can be drawn up directly from the syringe which comes with the product rather than having to prise the top off or decant from one syringe to another. Of course if you've been prescribed it in ml it is a way to achieve it - but I was really just making the point in reply to the comment about not understanding why all vets don't prescribe in ml...whereas I don't understand why they do - it just create unnecessary steps as far as I can see, not least because we have previously been warned that metacam becomes ineffective very quickly once it's been drawn up, so why risk exposing it to the light and air more than necessary.

I think I will just have to agree to disagree with those who find it easier to have it prescribed in ml! (Edit: although Hugo's There makes a good point about multiple bunnies - I can imagine it is better to have it in ml in that scenario so a different syringe can be used to draw up all the doses for each individual bunny).

We draw up between ten and twenty doses each time and then give them out all together. The company told me it is fine drawn up for 20-40 minutes and given most buns are waiting for it with mouths wide open it doesn't take lowg to distribute it!

haven't read all through but just wanted to add our vet has prescribed a higher than "normal" dose quite often for our bunnies who need it so think it has been known about for some time

My vet always prescribes Metacam in millilitres but I use the large dog syringe to get the Metacam out of the bottle and then fit a small 1ml syringe onto it and draw the Metacam into it, which works a treat. :)

Yes I do this too but on the smaller bottles of metacam the ml syringe fits them. Just to make things more complicated!! The larger bottles I need to transfer between syringes.

I have so many different syringes, I've check the pink ones out as don't want to overdose Doughnut and don't use the weight ones.

haven't read all through but just wanted to add our vet has prescribed a higher than "normal" dose quite often for our bunnies who need it so think it has been known about for some time

Depends what your Vet considers to be a 'normal' maximum dose

It used to be 0.3mg/kg/24hrs

then it went up to 0.6mg/kg/24hrs

now it is 0.6mg/kg/12 hrs

Depends what your Vet considers to be a 'normal' maximum dose

It used to be 0.3mg/kg/24hrs

then it went up to 0.6mg/kg/24hrs

now it is 0.6mg/kg/12 hrs

Depending on rabbit and symptoms, they have gone up, in varying amounts, to the highest dosage listed above

Hi Jacks Jane what would Leo's maximum dosage be? My vet said 0.4ml twice daily. He is 1.4kg. Either that or 0.8ml once daily. I wouldn't give any more just interested to see how much difference there is if any

Have they changed the stopper on the large sized dog Metacam bottles? Back when I had the bunnies, I never had any problem getting a 1 ml syringe into it. :?

My vet prescribes for the dog syringes, and it's a bloomin' nightmare. Mainly because you can't order more of the things! When I have an animal on long term meds, I like to be able to change the syringe much more regularly (plus I regularly break the dog ones).

Last edited:
Have they changed the stopper on the large sized dog Metacam bottles? Back when I had the bunnies, I never had any problem getting a 1 ml syringe into it. :?

My vet prescribes for the dog syringes, and it's a bloomin' nightmare. Mainly because you can't order more of the things! When you had an animal on long term meds, I like to be able to change the syringe much more regularly (plus I regularly break the dog ones).
It sounds as if perhaps the bottles used to be different :?

I have a 100ml bottle of the dog Metacam, and the syringe which comes with it fits on the stopper, but a 1ml syringe won't fit.

DOG

The vet puts in what amount I need in a tube container and I have a 1ml suringe
x

Going on what Richard Saunders said to my Vet the maximum dose would be 0.56ml every 12 hours

Personally I have always found that Metacam is more effective given 12 hourly anyway. It seems to provide more efficient 24 hour analgesia.

Going on what Richard Saunders said to my Vet the maximum dose would be 0.56ml every 12 hours

Personally I have always found that Metacam is more effective given 12 hourly anyway. It seems to provide more efficient 24 hour analgesia.

Yikes, I wonder why I was told to give 0.48ml twice daily then. I will call the vet tomorrow to double check the dose as a new label wasnt printed out when they changed it

Is it just double that for 24 hour usage so 0.8ml a day? If you say it works better once a day than twice it would worth us trying

No, I think it works better TWICE a day :)

But you need to discuss it with your Vet, I am just saying what my Vet has told me xx

Last edited:
Back