• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam - could it have saved her? (E Cuniculi)

Andy86

New Kit
Both of our beautiful little bunnies suffered (and recovered) from E Cuniculi earlier in their lives. However, one of them developed it again yesterday morning. I rushed her straight to the vets at 10am and she was given an injection, as well as being prescribed Baytril and Panacur. At this point she had poor balance and weakness in her back legs, but was still alert. She was in a better state than when they had treatment before.

However, she regressed massively over the next few hours to the point where she wouldn't eat, drink or move. I rushed her back in at 5:30pm and asked for her to be given Metacam. This perked her up slightly, and we were able to feed her water and baby food 2/3 times later in the evening, albeit via syringe. She was still weak and unable to move, but it was progress.

Unfortunately, she was barely breathing when we woke up this morning. She died in my arms when I tried to comfort her 😥

Maybe I'm just torturing myself, but I can't help feeling things may have been different if she'd had Metacam immediately, or if we'd been able to syringe feed her during the day.

What do you think? Could it have possibly saved her? Or does the fact she went downhill so quickly suggest that it was a battle she just wasn't meant to win? 😟

Both of our beautiful little bunnies suffered (and recovered) from E Cuniculi earlier in their lives. However, one of them developed it again yesterday morning. I rushed her straight to the vets at 10am and she was given an injection, as well as being prescribed Baytril and Panacur. At this point she had poor balance and weakness in her back legs, but was still alert. She was in a better state than when they had treatment before.

However, she regressed massively over the next few hours to the point where she wouldn't eat, drink or move. I rushed her back in at 5:30pm and asked for her to be given Metacam. This perked her up slightly, and we were able to feed her water and baby food 2/3 times later in the evening, albeit via syringe. She was still weak and unable to move, but it was progress.

Unfortunately, she was barely breathing when we woke up this morning. She died in my arms when I tried to comfort her 😥

Maybe I'm just torturing myself, but I can't help feeling things may have been different if she'd had Metacam immediately, or if we'd been able to syringe feed her during the day.

What do you think? Could it have possibly saved her? Or does the fact she went downhill so quickly suggest that it was a battle she just wasn't meant to win? 😟

I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

I honestly do not think that giving Metacam any sooner would have made any difference at all. Sadly EC can seriously damage the kidneys and it is very possible that your Rabbit went into acute renal failure :cry:

I really am sorry, you did absolutely everything possible to try to help her.

RIP little Bunny :cry:

So very to hear that you lost your little bunny, you did everything right by her, sorry that she couldn't be saved. Sweet dreams little bunny xx

Oh I'm so sorry [emoji24]

You mustn't second guess yourself. You did the absolute best you could.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

How sad :( I agree with others (& your final pont) - it was probably all too much for her this time round. I can't see Metacam would make that much difference . Thinking of you & your remaining bunny

I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

I honestly do not think that giving Metacam any sooner would have made any difference at all. Sadly EC can seriously damage the kidneys and it is very possible that your Rabbit went into acute renal failure :cry:

I really am sorry, you did absolutely everything possible to try to help her.

RIP little Bunny :cry:

Well said. I lost Gemini in a similar manner in September and he got Medicam right away, He died in my arms too.

I am so sorry for your loss :( bunnies are so fragile, it’s almost always out of our control :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everybody. I’m still heartbroken but at least I know that there isn’t anything else we could have done to save her. She’d only just turned one year old too 😥

50-F5-B9-A5-997-D-4542-BB7-E-C2-B323-BDE4-DB.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss:cry:
It sounds like you did everything right, I don't think metacam earlier would have saved her.

She was beautiful.

Last edited:
Back