• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meeple and Nemesis [Hormones]

Literally in the last hour Meeple's worked out how to use the steps. He was in the top level all day as far as I know, but right now he's racing up and down like a pro. It's like he's suddenly been hit by inspiration and it's clicked for him now. It's amazing.

It's definitely fun watching them develop mentally. I wonder if they go through predictable stages like children do? Yesterday they also learned that they can manipulate their environment and have taken to moving pine cones and cardboard tubes - Nemesis seems to like throwing them down to the next lower level!

They seem less inclined to want strokes now too. I assume they are so busy learning their new environment after getting over the initial shock of moving in that they are less interested in bonding with us right now. They're interested in sniffing and come over to say hello when I approach the cage, but honestly I don't mind if we're not their top priority.

Aww, I love the second picture of them in the carrier. So cute!

I know! I spent the whole journey like "Aw, they're lying down! Nemesis just put his foot in Meeple's face! Look at their EARS!" and driving my poor boyfriend crazy.

I'm actually still doing that, but mostly on Twitter now. ;)

This has been the third night they've had exercise time outside the cage - I'm increasing it slowly as they get to know the room better, and as I get to know them and their habits better.

Nemesis likes to explore and sniff things, and makes short little runs. Meeple's more cautious about leaving the cage and exploring, but he loves to run and makes circuits around the cage - he was also the first to binky. He's a bit bigger than Nemesis so perhaps he's just a little ahead in development?

Over the three nights their balance and coordination have clearly improved dramatically. They don't mind the wooden floor and are getting used to skidding a little, working "power slides" into their cornering! I put down a throw blanket tonight and I wondered if they'd be put off by the fact that it slips on the floor but they absolutely loved it and raced around binkying even though the footing wasn't terribly secure. I have ordered a cotton chindi rug and some non-slip gripper things, but I though I'd see how they reacted to the throw tonight, figuring they're smart enough to avoid it if they found it uncomfortable. But they liked it a lot. :)

Also, no pee outside the cage! What clever bunnies!

And they had vaccinations today. They were much admired at the vets with their slightly unusual colouring (especially Meeple's cinnamon colour) and general cuteness. ;) Meeple did very well and didn't make any fuss, but poor Nemesis struggled as soon as he felt the needle and it took both me and the vet to keep him still for the second attempt. They seem completely recovered now though.

Bunnies are spending longer periods outside the cage now, and as they get more confident in the environment they're more inclined to investigate us! I like to sit on the floor with a few bits of FibaFirst and they jump up onto my knee occasionally once they know I have food. Meeple continues to be much shyer than Nemesis but they both love "out time".

They now think that every time I open the lower door of the cage they can have a run around!

We had another trip to the vets today because Nemesis has a sore eye (there was a hair or something stuck in it last night which I couldn't remove but it was gone by lunchtime). We got ointment for him which is already helping, and he seems not to hate me for it, so that's good! The vet also weighed them, and warned me to keep an eye on Meeple's weight. He's okay now but he is on the chunky side, so it's looking like it's time to reduce their pellets. More exercise will help too I guess!

The plan is for them to work up to spending most of the day (well night really, since I'm pretty much nocturnal) free-ranging in the living room under supervision. I fear for my furniture if no-one's watching them! I know it would be much better to have a large space permanently available to them but the room's too small for a permanent run and I'd rather them be safe in the cage than figure out how to get to the wires when I'm in bed.

Right now I'm in Binky Central, occasionally employed as a rabbit climbing frame. ;) They are completely fascinated by the jeans I'm wearing which are new to them, and keep nibbling my legs! Gently, not damaging the fabric - I assume that's kind of like grooming? Meeple in particular wants to touch every new thing (my hand included) with his teeth.

And Meeple has taken to chinning objects. He's growing up!

They are adorable ♥ is it just the first piccie and not showing clear on tablet on meeple what's the hole mark? Is it just way he sat?

I know! I spent the whole journey like "Aw, they're lying down! Nemesis just put his foot in Meeple's face! Look at their EARS!" and driving my poor boyfriend crazy.

I'm actually still doing that, but mostly on Twitter now. ;)

:lol::lol:

They are adorable ♥ is it just the first piccie and not showing clear on tablet on meeple what's the hole mark? Is it just way he sat?

It's just the way his fur is messed up I think. It does look a bit like a bullet hole or something now I look at it! He's fine, honestly! ;)

Sounds,like they're settling in well, I think we need new photos though :)

I'll see what I can do! (I need to be at my PC to do it though, so you might have to wait a bit.) I could try a little badly-lit video though?

[Edit: Can't see it. Bum. Will try later from PC.]

Okay, I know I owe some pics, but I haven't got round to it yet, sorry!

Nemesis's eye is now absolutely fine, which obviously I'm very happy about. :)

The boys are starting to literally push the boundaries - they've started to try (unsuccessfully) to get into places I've blocked off like under the cupboards where the wires are, or behind the sofa (safe but off-limits until I'm satisfied they won't chew the back of it) and it's very difficult for a human to leave the room without them trying to make a break for freedom. They really want to see what's beyond the door!

They do snuggle with each other often when they're resting but it's not uncommon to see them settled down in different spots now, presumably they are getting more confident and don't need the comfort so much. We get occasional grooming but usually they are just happy to hang out without being all "lovey" with each other. Meeple sometimes asks Nemesis to groom him but he isn't usually successful. He doesn't react negatively when Nemesis ignores him though.

Both are expressing an interest in the sofa and chairs, periscoping to eye up the distance required to jump up. It's too high for them right now but Nemesis has jumped onto my knee on the sofa by bouncing off my shins!

As for bonding with me, that's moving along slowly. I've always tried to just let rabbits interact with me the way they want to without pushing unwanted contact on them, but of course I need to be able to handle them for health checks, claw clipping, medication, vets visits, etc, and I'd like them to enjoy head strokes. They are perfectly happy to sniff me, accept food from me and both now hop onto my knee in the hope of treats if I'm sitting on the floor. They will accept head strokes sometimes but mostly only in their cage.

I'm thinking bribery is the way forward - they'll only get treats when I'm touching them. They both love FibaFirst and intently focus on it while they're eating so I'm giving gentle strokes along the head, ears and back while they're munching and will progress to putting my hands under their bellies and eventually picking them up. Shouldn't be too hard to get them to tolerate that kind of handling.

And I'm going to start clicker training soon too. My last rabbit Neo responded very well to that, although it'll be much more difficult with two bunnies and I'll need two clickers with distinctly different noises, one for each.

They both love FibaFirst and intently focus on it while they're eating so I'm giving gentle strokes along the head, ears and back while they're munching and will progress to putting my hands under their bellies and eventually picking them up. Shouldn't be too hard to get them to tolerate that kind of handling.
That's a really good idea: mine love a FibaFirst too and they do really concentrate, so doing my picking-up training with that would be really useful. Mine aren't particularly lovey either: they don't get grumpy about refused grooming requests, and they do seek each other out at various times, sometimes just to see where the other one is (if they've got food, maybe!), but they're not side-by-side 24/7 :)

Sounds like they're doing really well :D

That's a really good idea: mine love a FibaFirst too and they do really concentrate, so doing my picking-up training with that would be really useful. Mine aren't particularly lovey either: they don't get grumpy about refused grooming requests, and they do seek each other out at various times, sometimes just to see where the other one is (if they've got food, maybe!), but they're not side-by-side 24/7 :)

Sounds like they're doing really well :D

Cool, we can be the FibaFirst Bribery Club. ;) Let me know how you get on!

As detailed here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?448505-Humping-now-separated-( we're now seeing hormonal behaviour (urine marking and Nemesis humping Meeple) and I've separated the boys. They are right next to each other and are having supervised play time together multiple times a day.

I didn't want to separate them but I didn't want to risk them fighting. Hopefully they'll keep their bond and go back together after neutering.

We're off to the vets again tomorrow to check if they are ready to castrate. I can definitely see scrotums but I'm not sure whether the testicles have actually descended yet. It's so hard to tell! It would be lovely if they were both ready because the sooner they're neutered the sooner they'll be able to live together again.

I'm not sure I've done the right thing by splitting them up, if I'm honest. There are so many conflicting opinions! I erred on the side of caution but I hate seeing them apart and my heart says I'm being cruel. It's hard to know what's for the best.

Back