• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mature or normal

Rhian33

Warren Veteran
I have been feeding my rabbits SS mature for the majority of the time I have kept rabbits due to always having a female bun (2 so far) with dodgy tums. I have lost both girls with the tummy issues but now have 1 male who is 3, a female who is 3 and a female who is 7. Both females are a little overweight as they got into quite a sedentary lifestyle before coming to me and I think they were eating too much and as I have only just adopted them I think I need to get them into a bit of a diet and exercise regime asap.

My question is that I'm just about to open a new bag of mature food and wondered there are any benefits of swapping to normal adult instead. As far as I'm aware I think that the mature is better as 1) one of my girls is slightly older so will be better for her 2) the girls are overweight so lighter food would be a good idea 3) The mature is lower in calcium so I would prefer that so I don't need to worry about cutting back on parsley and spring greens 4) the smaller mature pellets seem better for scatter feeding.

Are there benefits of feeding adult over mature?

Other than slightly lower calcium and slightly higher (22%) fibre in the mature, there's very little difference. I swap between the two with no problems whatsoever.

Other than slightly lower calcium and slightly higher (22%) fibre in the mature, there's very little difference. I swap between the two with no problems whatsoever.

This is what I figured but I just wanted to check that i wasn't missing something glaringly obvious and making them miss out on something now I don't have to contend with the runny bum issues.

Hi :)

my vet said there was no benefits to the mature bunny foods just good marketing

You tell that to my previous rabbits stomachs. Complete nonsense there is no nutritional difference, you just need to read the label! Calcium is lower and fibre is higher and they are generally easier on the digestive system. These are facts which cannot be fudged plus I have seen benefits in many rabbits with dodgy tums in my rescue work.

Back