• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Matilda has turned into phyco rabbit over night!!

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
She has gone from nice cuddly, friendly rabbit! to evil, growly, bitey rabbit!!

yesturday she bit my sister! and I thought ohh my sis must have annoyed her, but then i was just stroking her as i do every evening and she bit me! it was proper agressive to not just a play bite! she has started chewing doors! and trying to jump up walls, distroyed her bed! like shreaded it to peices!!

She has plenty of toys! my whole room is coverdd with toys!

Any ideas as to why litrally over night she has turned like this!!

oo and shes 6 month old!

Has she been spayed? From what I understand girls can get very hormonal.

Has any of her stuff been moved around that may have upset her?

xx

i wasn't planning on for a while! cos need to save and get my 3 males neuted first!

There's your problem then by the sounds of it. Girls hit bunny puberty later than males so 6 months would be about right for her to be acting like this.

I think she is just hormonal and getting territorial over her home.

xx

She will be like this until she is spayed. So the sooner the better!

She will be like this until she is spayed. So the sooner the better!

urgh great! will just have to put up with it, can't get her done until the summer at the earliest!!

would buying her more interactive toys to keep her occupied help? x

urgh great! will just have to put up with it, can't get her done until the summer at the earliest!!

doubt it. hormonal urges are VERY strong :wave:

Tia was exactly the same before she was done. She is a real sweetie now though, can you not get her done first? I bet she is totally bewildered why she feels the way she does bless her.

Might be worth asking the vets if they're give you a multi bun discount if you have 4 to do. They may knock a little off, particularly if you're a regular customer.

In the mean time you just need to try and minimise the opportunities she has to attack so it doesn't become learnt behaviour. Try not to teach her that attacking means she gets you to go away when she wants.

More things to do might help her burn off energy so it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it but it's unlikely to be a cure :)

In the mean time you just need to try and minimise the opportunities she has to attack so it doesn't become learnt behaviour. Try not to teach her that attacking means she gets you to go away when she wants.

When mine used to go for my hand I used to pull away as quick as possible because i was terrified of those teeth! I tried to not move my hand but it didn't work, instead I started using the brush from the dustpan and brush, I would hold it in, let him go for it, but because I wasn't scared I didn't move it. As it progressed I started stroking him with the brush and eventually (it took a good 6 weeks of perserverance!!) I could put my hand in and he wouldn't bite me.

Just some thing to try :)

Last edited:
Hi. I wouldn't leave it too long as she may stay like this. I've got a rescue bun who was spayed when I got her, but she is 3 and because she was left so long before spaying, she is a right moody mare! She will box my hand away if I go to pick up the food bowl to fill it and grunts and growls all the time.

I agree with the others - definitely hormonal. Matilda has become a teenager!

Personally, assuming the boys are separate from each other, I would swap round the order you are going to get them 'done' in and prioritise getting her done first if she's going to have to wait until after you've saved up to get the boys done. There are a few reasons I suggest this:

First, it's a more invasive operation for females, so it's better to get them done when they are younger with less abdominal fat and when they are (hopefully!) healthier; it's an easier op for boys as it doesn't go into the boy cavity, so it's less of a big deal if they're a bit older;

Second, if she's the one with behavioural issues due to hormones, then getting her done will help to calm her down and make her feel happier, eliminate phantom pregnancies which can be quite traumatic for them, and hopefully stop the behaviour from getting so embedded that it's hard to get her out of after neutering;

Third, while getting the boys done is obviously a really good idea, the risk of illness in unspayed does is higher than in unneutered bucks so it's probably better to get her done so that she doesn't risk womb infections and/or uterine cancer; and

Lastly, getting her done will completely remove any risk of her getting pregnant if there is some kind of accident which means that one of the boys is able to get to her; if she doesn't have a womb, she can't get pregnant regardless of how many fertile boys there are around!

Good luck, I hope you manage to get enough saved up to get all your little ones sorted out soon :)

Back