• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male (neutered) showing hostility to female, who is possessive of him in turn

I have two rabbits, 2.5 years old, and I’ve been noticing the male (Parsley) keeps chasing the female (Clover) aggressively around the garden. He’s been neutered so I assume its dominance.

We adopted them from someone who was not very knowledgeable about rabbits (as in, they kept them in a hutch without a run attached and gave them two bowls of pellets a day), and he insisted both were neutered whenever I asked. The vet said that there’s no way to tell if she has been spayed without doing an ultra sound, which would be invasive and also not 100% accurate because she could still have a naturally hidden womb that wouldn’t show up on the scan.

Whenever I try to touch Parsley in her presence, Clover will growl and lunge at him. She’s defensive and growls easily, although I’ve seen this behaviour in females who have been spayed too.

I’m not sure if they’re frustrated (?) They spend a lot of time grooming each other and are generally amicable until they enter the main part of the garden, where he’ll chase her aggressively and she’ll often hide under the hutch in fear.

Back