• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ludo's gone blind

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
Hi all,

I've had a very sad night. Ludo went blind in one eye with a cataract about 4-5 months ago. The cataract came on in 2 days, from first appearance to full cover. The vet examined him and said it's not a normal cataract, I think he said because it was in a different place compared to the lens than usual. We treated him for E cuniculi, just in case, and Ludo carried on as normal.

Today I noticed that while he's not ill, he's not been behaving as normal. He often does this when he moults (which he is doing at the moment) so I did the usual, pestering him to eat, providing lots of favourite foods and encouraging him to exercise. But I noticed he didn't seem interested in doing some things he would normally, like exploring the rooms he's only allowed in when supervised.

Tonight, when he ran past my desk lamp, I noticed the light reflecting off the good eye in a strange way. So I picked him up and checked, and he's got the same sort of cataract appearing in his good eye. So now he's blind.

I don't really know what to do. My vet is open for emergencies only so if it becomes an emergency- like if he stops eating- I'll take him straight away. He's nearly 8, so I'm guessing cataracts could be age related? I have some Panacur I can give him just in case it's E cuniculi, but he was treated in January. Can older rabbits acclimatise to blindness, or would it be kinder, if he doesn't settle, to have him pts?
I love him so much I can't bear the thought of ever losing him, but at the same time, I wouldn't want him to suffer.

Hi all,

I've had a very sad night. Ludo went blind in one eye with a cataract about 4-5 months ago. The cataract came on in 2 days, from first appearance to full cover. The vet examined him and said it's not a normal cataract, I think he said because it was in a different place compared to the lens than usual. We treated him for E cuniculi, just in case, and Ludo carried on as normal.

Today I noticed that while he's not ill, he's not been behaving as normal. He often does this when he moults (which he is doing at the moment) so I did the usual, pestering him to eat, providing lots of favourite foods and encouraging him to exercise. But I noticed he didn't seem interested in doing some things he would normally, like exploring the rooms he's only allowed in when supervised.

Tonight, when he ran past my desk lamp, I noticed the light reflecting off the good eye in a strange way. So I picked him up and checked, and he's got the same sort of cataract appearing in his good eye. So now he's blind.

I don't really know what to do. My vet is open for emergencies only so if it becomes an emergency- like if he stops eating- I'll take him straight away. He's nearly 8, so I'm guessing cataracts could be age related? I have some Panacur I can give him just in case it's E cuniculi, but he was treated in January. Can older rabbits acclimatise to blindness, or would it be kinder, if he doesn't settle, to have him pts?
I love him so much I can't bear the thought of ever losing him, but at the same time, I wouldn't want him to suffer.
dear Hesperus,-I can empathize with you.-rabbits aquire abscesses,eye troubles,and such,-I have just dealt with it,and maybe limit-ludo,s-territorial bounds,just have to be a different kind of care giver,be observant,make sure he gets grasses,food,water,teats as usual,keep an eye on the poop box--here is a website link I always could depend on http://www.medirabbit.com I do wish ludo the very best--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

I would contact vet for phone consult. Some bunnies function well with cataracts as long as in familiar surroundings.
Perhaps your bunny also may have pain or infection that requires meds.Sending vibes.

Hi all,

I am sorry to hear that Ludo has lost his eyesight. EC can sometimes be involved in the development of Cataracts, but it is certainly not the only cause. Also, giving Panacur wont reverse the ocular damage done by EC.

Rabbits can adapt to being blind, although if it happens suddenly it can be a bit more traumatic for them at first. It would be a good idea to get a Vet to examine Ludo as the Vet will need to do a thorough examination of his eyes, including the retina and intraocular pressure. Unfortunately due to Covid 19 you will not be able to go into the consultation too, but hand Ludo over to the Vet outside the Surgery and wait for him there. But the Vet should talk you through exactly what has been found and any proposed treatment options. Certainly blindness does not always mean the Bunny has to be PTS. Each case needs to be dealt with individually and holistically.

These links contain some additional information

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Disorder/Cat/Cat_en.htm

https://bunnyapproved.com/bunnys-cataract-surgery/

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/blindness.html

I am sorry that Ludo has lost his sight. I had a blind rabbit but you would never have known. He quickly got to know where everything was and went around just like a normal bunny.

I’m so sorry he has gone blind. I would contact the vet for advice on treatment but I think he will learn to adapt.

Sorry for the slow reply, I got a bad migraine from worrying about Ludo.
Well, the good news is that his sluggishness was the moulting, he's stopped shedding as much now and he's back to his normal, feisty self.

He is blind, but I'm now not sure he's noticed. We are treating him again for EC just in case.

Sorry for the slow reply, I got a bad migraine from worrying about Ludo.
Well, the good news is that his sluggishness was the moulting, he's stopped shedding as much now and he's back to his normal, feisty self.

He is blind, but I'm now not sure he's noticed. We are treating him again for EC just in case.

I am glad to hear that Ludo is in better spirits and I hope you are now feeling better too x

Back