• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Low calcium pellets

kez

Warren Scout
So my rabbit milo whos 7 has got a bladder stone,he's had a blood test that shows he's got high level of calcium in his body so that vet has recommended a low calcium diet, he's currently on science selective but my vet has suggested timothy based pellets instead of alfalfa. Does anyone have rabbits who are on low calcium diet and if so what do you feed them? Also what pellets do people recommend?

My little Buster is on a low calcium diet. He has the Vetcare Urinary Tract Formula pellets, one handful twice daily. The pellets are really long pieces so it's good for teeth and they are high in fibre (Timothy Based) so good for tummies as well. I order mine from the Vet UK website, £5 per box but lasts a month for one bunny.

Also important to remember to feed low calcium veggies. I feed celery and cucumber in the main, but also small amounts of peppers, apple and carrot. They tend to have celery and cucumber 3x weekly, Saturdays they are allowed a small piece of carrot or apple for a treat. Even though broccoli and spring greens are higher in calcium they can be given now and again as the calcium in veggies is metabolised differently to that in pellets. They maybe get these once or twice a month (small portion). Good luck x

My little Buster is on a low calcium diet. He has the Vetcare Urinary Tract Formula pellets, one handful twice daily. The pellets are really long pieces so it's good for teeth and they are high in fibre (Timothy Based) so good for tummies as well. I order mine from the Vet UK website, £5 per box but lasts a month for one bunny.

Also important to remember to feed low calcium veggies. I feed celery and cucumber in the main, but also small amounts of peppers, apple and carrot. They tend to have celery and cucumber 3x weekly, Saturdays they are allowed a small piece of carrot or apple for a treat. Even though broccoli and spring greens are higher in calcium they can be given now and again as the calcium in veggies is metabolised differently to that in pellets. They maybe get these once or twice a month (small portion). Good luck x

sounds like the diet sox is on now mainly celery and cucmber at night, he no longer has carrots, so i give mabel 2 small carrot sticks whil ehe starts their supper

Thanks for the advice,I think I'll try him on some of those pellets as he does also suffer with teeth problems and every 2-3 months he has his molars filed down. He's never been a big hay eater so I gave him more greens to help keep his teeth down which had been working coz he's going longer between dentals but now he has too much calcium:roll:

Back