• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lost a Bonded Rabbit

Fluorine

New Kit
Hi. One of my friend's rabbit died. The female rabbit is the survivor. The pair had babies, three elder ones and two newborns. Will the female adjust?

I am sorry to read of the loss of your friends rabbit.
Rabbits do grieve -they share the same emotions we do but they will display those emotions differently.
It is very important to support the doe at this delicate time because she may stop eating due to the loss. It is very important to make sure the doe continues to eat and to monitor for any poops as she is vulnerable at this time of going into stasis.
It’s important to make sure she gets lots of attention and fuss because inside she will be hurting from the loss and she will need that support as we humans would, to deal with her loss.
Binkey free dear little bun. Xx

The doe is having a tough time with 2 existing litters and another possible litter, and the loss of her partner. She may be pregnant again if dad was left in with her. I would suggest she is neutered for her own health and wellbeing, when the latest litter is old enough.

I would be wary of too much intervention while there are babies in the nest, as that may cause her more stress and it could affect the babies. Just keep an eye on her - make sure she is eating / drinking as normal. If she is used to getting attention, then continue as usual, or whatever she will accept.

What is the plan for the babies? One or two could be kept, neutered (boys at 3 months, girls at 6 months) and paired back up with mum. Rabbits do better with their own company.

As for dad - I'm sorry for his loss. Were there any clues as to the cause of death? Was he vaccinated? It is important that all rabbits are vaccinated annually against 3 main viruses (Myxo, RHD1 and RHD2) as they can cause sudden death. If mum and the older babies are not vaccinated, I would suggest a vet visit as a matter of urgency to get it done.

I am sorry to read of the loss of your friends rabbit.
Rabbits do grieve -they share the same emotions we do but they will display those emotions differently.
It is very important to support the doe at this delicate time because she may stop eating due to the loss. It is very important to make sure the doe continues to eat and to monitor for any poops as she is vulnerable at this time of going into stasis.
It’s important to make sure she gets lots of attention and fuss because inside she will be hurting from the loss and she will need that support as we humans would, to deal with her loss.
Binkey free dear little bun. Xx

Thank you.

Back