• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loss of hair.

Tk67

New Kit
Hi guys I’m new here and my daughters rabbit has just started losing hair on his back. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4606.jpeg
    IMG_4606.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 11
Its possible your bunny has mites. A trip to the vets will be needed to confirm or otherwise. It clears up well after a few shots of invectermin based treatment. Is bunny alone? If any other rabbits live with him they need treating too

Its possible your bunny has mites. A trip to the vets will be needed to confirm or otherwise. It clears up well after a few shots of invectermin based treatment. Is bunny alone? If any other rabbits live with him they need treating too
Thanks for the advice. Yeah the rabbit is alone, I was concerned that he was lonely.

I would want a vet to look at him to determine exactly what the issue is. If it is mites, then there is often another issue to address, as a healthy rabbit in a regularly cleaned environment wouldn't normally have an issue in keeping mites under control - which means there could be another hidden health issue or problems with physically being able to groom themselves (eg teeth, arthritis) - hence the recommendation for a full checkup.

I would want a vet to look at him to determine exactly what the issue is. If it is mites, then there is often another issue to address, as a healthy rabbit in a regularly cleaned environment wouldn't normally have an issue in keeping mites under control - which means there could be another hidden health issue or problems with physically being able to groom themselves (eg teeth, arthritis) - hence the recommendation for a full checkup.
He is regularly grooming himself and the cage is cleaned regularly. Is there anything that I could purchase that would help?

I would still suggest a vet visit for a good looking over and find out exactly what's causing the fur loss, then come back for suggestions if you still need them, when you know what you are dealing with.

I would still suggest a vet visit for a good looking over and find out exactly what's causing the fur loss, then come back for suggestions if you still need them, when you know what you are dealing with.
Okay thanks for your help 👍

What vitamins should be given in such cases?
None until a Vet has been consulted. A healthy Rabbit should obtain all their nutritional needs from being fed an appropriate diet. Supplements are not necessary, any vitamin deficiency is a sign of a problem with the diet or the health of the Rabbit. Or both. Only a consultation with a ‘Rabbit Savvy‘ Vet can establish if there might be a specific need to give a vitamin supplement and/or if dietary changes are required

Back