• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lopsy's indoor behaviours

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
When Lopsy was unwell we had to move him inside for a week, so here he has to stay :( This is not very convenient for us, and I'm not sure how well it suits him either. It's taken him some time to come round to his new area: he was being medicated for a while so being dragged out of it for bad-tasting syringe feeding became associated with it and it took him 3 days post-last medication to come over to the hatch when I opened it. He has since been very willing to receive headrubs for minutes on end (like up to half an hour), general brush-related grooming and has even tried to groom me back (aww :love:), all with tooth-purring. He's back to his inquisitive self! We had a few DBFs and this morning I even got binkies :love:

He has, however, taken to chewing more: I think without the grass to nose around in, he's chewing whatever he can get at. He was quite happy just digging in and ripping up paper, but then I caught him eating it so that was straight out! He's chewed the end of his short sturdy tube more than it had been outside too, and chews most of his not-normal toys (I put a Hare doorstop in who's since had to be removed for surgery: don't worry, it's only a couple of flesh wounds!). He eats loads of hay though, which is a good sign. I'm going to retrieve his log thing from the garden and put that in for him, but do you have any other ideas? He's already got a massive willow ball which is taking some bashing but standing up so far, and a scratching thing that hangs on the side.

He has a thing about his carry case too: being an inquisitive little blighter, he likes to know what the carpet is like under the carry case. This generally results in the carry case being somewhere else when I next see him, usually on its side with the hatch fallen shut :roll: It's supposed to be his hidey hole. Any suggestions?

Now the big one: Matt, the OH. Matt was the main picker-upper once he moved upstairs as I'm too short to reach in and grab him safely, and Matt wasn't the safest pair of hands :roll: Matt's been up to see him a couple of times but not as much as I have, so I took Matt up there Sunday evening: Lopsy remained towards the back of the run, out of reach, and did a proper thump! Never heard or seen him thump before. He came over to us eventually and was quite happy to come up to me, but didn't like Matt being so close.

So, what does Matt need to do? He suggested he collect some forage and bring it for him: that's how he bonded with him before XD He's a bit big to do what I do (lie down in the run) but I think we need to make sure Lopsy knows neither of us are about to drag him out for medication or vet visits!

I wouldn't worry TOO much about the paper and cardboard. As long as he's not eating masses of it then it shouldn't cause a problem. Could you give him an old telephone directory to rip up? Benji likes to dig in an old towel so he's got several dotted around. Perhaps fill some old plant pits or cardboard boxes with hay and some tasty herbs or treats burried in it so he has to hunt/dig for it.

Perhaps your OH can just sit in the same room as him and read a book for half an hour or so, just to get bunny used to the fact that your OH is in the room but nothing happens? Or tempt bunny with tasty fresh herbs and then just leave.

He went upstairs with bramble yesterday and it was instant cupboard-love all over again: even let him stroke him (was too busy eating to care, maybe?!). I'll suggest the reading if it changes again: Matt does a lot of reading :)

Could you give him an old telephone directory to rip up?
Have you seen the size of them these days?! There used to be a good two telephone directories in height between me and Matt and now we'd need about 5! I'll see what I've got XD He's got a drip-tray of hay which I sometimes put his pellets in but not too often in case he gets lazy and works out he can just tip the tray up to get them! I'll put his newspaper back in and see how he fancies it :)

Back