• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lopsy p70 better, woohoo!

Poor Lopsy, and I feel for you, too. There's nothing more aggravating than a non conclusive diagnosis. Sending vibes that a solution can be found soon and recovery can begin. xxxxx

I'm sorry Lopsy isn't doing well, and that the vet couldn't find a reason. :( The way he sniffs his food and then decides he doesn't want any is what Tom and Casper did/do when they had/have molar spurs, and Tom would do the chewing his food really thorougly thing, too. Like IM said, the molars at the back can't be seen when they're conscious, so I wonder if that would be worth checking if he doesn't recover? Although obviously it wouldn't be ideal to sedate him when he's not well. :? I'm glad you found a normal-looking poo and that Lopsy had a drink. Poor Chibbs, not knowing what to do, either, being worried about Lopsy. :love: I hope Lopsy's feeling better this morning and is eating more. Sending him so, so many vibes.

Morning all, he's still with us and more with it :) No poo yet, well I don't think so, it all looks too uniform and wasn't where we left him last night, so is mostly Chibbs' I reckon. We gave him a litter tray with a snugglesafe under the newspaper as it was cold last night and before we rammed some syringes into his mouth (which took about 45mins because we're rubbish at this) his ears were cold at the ends (not the bases, but maybe a little cooler than they should have been). We managed to get most of a dose of metacam and metoclopramide in him :) He has chewed an apple stick overnight (Chibbs doesn't chew apple sticks, dunno why not) and was eating odd bits of hay, willow etc. when we left him at 11pm.

He was a little subdued at first this morning but Matt let them out into their expanded area plus the lawn, which needs 'mowing', and he was happy enough to come out get mowing :) Absolutely refusing all treats, even nonmedicated ones, so I'm off for banana-based stuff this morning, or we'll have to manhandle him into a carrier and dose him up like that. He's hiding under the table which isn't unusual for this time of day and after a good runaround on the lawn, but Matt says he's probably annoyed at being medicated :lol: Tough luck mate, it's medication or vets'!

Could be his teeth, not possible to see the very back teeth in a conscious Rabbit.
Absolutely agree, and I've definitely had my 'OMG teeth' moments when he's shown little interest in hard food, hay etc., but nothing he's eating is pointing to teeth (yet): his combination of hard and soft food yesterday (pellets and cabbage) was a little worrying but he's been eating hay happily and grass this morning, so I'm thinking not. The emergency vet said it would be unusual in a 8.5yo rabbit for him to suddenly develop it but it's not unheard of and it's not like he classically presents for anything :lol: I'm not even sure his 'no-food chewing' was proper toothgrinding, and he's not looked in pain apart from just before i took him to the vets yesterday and there was no toothgrinding.

He was definitely active at the vets yesterday, he was described as a 'lively patient' so he's not mellowed quite so much in his old age :lol: Vet was surprised that he didn't bite her given his activeness but he's never bitten anyone intentionally, he just wants to leave :love:

I suspect his pain flared up Friday and wasn't resolved Saturday morning, partly by his unwillingness to eat medicated treats etc., and that's ongoing. I would expect his presentation to be back to Lopsy normal once we've got his pain under proper control (he's now on max. dose, if we can get it in him :roll:). The metoclopramide will keep him going but I hope it'll be unnecessary either once his pain is better or once he's pooed, but we'll continue until he's been 'normal' for 24hrs minimum (two doses). I hope his guts will get moving with all the exercise as well: I agree with my usual vet that getting them moving gets their guts moving :) The fact he's willing to run around gives me a lot of hope.

We're not out of the woods but if the little :censored: will actually take his meds then we'll be on the road to recovery quicker!

Sending lots more vibes for Lopsy. I hope he's back to normal soon. I would also add that, whilst it probably is unusual for an older rabbit to suddenly develop dental issues, there's always exceptions. My vet said that Tethra had spurs from about 8 years onwards, but because it never got worse and didn't produce any symptoms, we just monitored it.

Topping up the vibes for him. Would he take the metacam mixed with something maybe? Frosty would eat it mixed with mashed banana or some fruit/veg purée baby food.

Thanks everyone :) Yeah, he's had some tiny (visible) spurs all his life, but they haven't changed.

Topping up the vibes for him. Would he take the metacam mixed with something maybe? Frosty would eat it mixed with mashed banana or some fruit/veg purée baby food.
I did just do a supermarket run. He's into banana but once I've stuck the meds in, no thanks :lol: I've made it mushy enough I can just syringe the lot into him which is our next step. I did ploomph some on his mouth quickly and he ran away and cleaned it off ;P But we're down to syringing I think! I also got some rabbit-safe baby food made with things he likes :)

He's still really active for somebun who hasn't had any meds, and he's mowing OK and eating the odd bits of willow and stuff. Which reminds me, I'm going to put the hayrack out. As Matt said, *he* wouldn't know anything was wrong so he's glad I'm here :)

As a consequence I also feel like absolute **** but I at least know what meds I can take and what's best for me (Lopsy being well :lol:) :D Save your best wishes for Lopsy, he's my quickest way to feeling myself again ;P

ETA we managed to get about 85% of the medicated mashed banana mix into him (or onto him in places he could clean off), so I'm happy with that. Albeit 3hrs later than I'd've liked! It's a massive faff and I'm better both at holding him AND finding his mouth (so hard! Especially with a Recovery syringe), so we've compromised on I hold him and Matt finds his mouth (he managed 90% of the administration, so proud :)), as he doesn't struggle with me so much. Matt just doesn't have the cognition to understand how to hold him to stop him struggling, and I can't teach that because it's totally instinctive. He looked like we'd tried to drown him in watery banana afterwards :lol: We left him in the carrier for 30mins to clean off/settle down, and now he seems happy enough and a lot cleaner :)

Oh, and one tiny poo :D

Last edited:
I'm glad he's more with it today, and that he nibbled on some things last night and has been mowing the grass. :love: That's great that you managed to get most of the medicated mashed banana mix into him as well, and that there's been a tiny poo! I hope he'll feel better (and that you will, too, when he does). Sending him lots and lots more vibes. I'm glad he's active, at least. :love:

Well we've turned a corner :) We have small poo, 100% from Lopsy, he seems MUCH more himself and took his meds on treats and pellets :) We went for a walk and brought back a selection of yummy things: grass, fresh apple, fresh willow, yarrow, cowparsely, a bit of hogweed, hazel, hawthorn, ribwort plantain. He was massively into grass and cowparsely, and also plantain, but worryingly not apple :roll: But after we got them in from the lawn, we left them for an hour before attempting medication, Lopsy was happy to take a medicated treat then medicated pellets, I found poo, and he was eating like normal. I haven't seen him drink all day, but I haven't been watching all day and his wee (which I did see him do ;P) was 100% normal for Lopsy. I did offer him water a few times but he didn't want any. He was eating as normal when we finished doing their usual night things :)

Just need him to take his meds as normal tomorrow morning and evening, then we'll see about going away finally on Tuesday! I said to Matt that Lopsy knows he's offered to run his game as normal on Monday evening and he wants to bum up our plans :lol:

Thankyou everyone :D He took his meds fine this morning, although he's gone off fenugreek crunchies, little :censored:! He's hopping is still a little stiff but normal for the past few months, and still better than yesterday. He was in and out of pots yesterday, used the tubes much better (Matt was concerned he hadn't moved from the house, maybe he couldn't use tubes, not a bad shout TBH), and today he's had a run around on the lawn, and even more of a runaround when Chibbs had her usual go at him :roll: She's such a cow: she spends 1-2mins every day putting him in his place, so there's chasing and circling and humping attempts. I guess it must be a dominance thing because she doesn't bother to grump at him when he's under the weather :)

If he's fine all day today, we'll try going on holiday tomorrow :lol:

Back