• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lopsy p70 better, woohoo!

I'm glad he's getting in the way now; that sounds positive. :lol: Does he like his Metacam?
I recall back in 2015 when he had his eye ulcer we got him eating it off a spoon, so yes? He likes treats :lol: We're currently syringing it onto a treat and giving it to him as that's least stress for everyone, and it's a suspension so shouldn't change the makeup of the drug itself :) Syringing things into his mouth wasn't easy when he was young and we haven't tried since, he considers it a way to stop him eating I think :lol: Hopefully we can get him taking his metacam like lots of the bunnies on here, from the syringe willingly! As long as he doesn't chew the syringe XD

He ate it off a spoon! Sounds like he likes it, then, yes. :lol: I think syringing it on a treat to save everyone the stress is a good idea. I give Sophie and Casper their daily meds on a couple of pellets, too. I'm always impressed by those photos of bunnies taking the Metacam willingly from a syringe! Sophie and Casper would never. :lol: I hope Lopsy will do so one day, though! :D

He ate it off a spoon! Sounds like he likes it, then, yes. :lol: I think syringing it on a treat to save everyone the stress is a good idea. I give Sophie and Casper their daily meds on a couple of pellets, too. I'm always impressed by those photos of bunnies taking the Metacam willingly from a syringe! Sophie and Casper would never. :lol: I hope Lopsy will do so one day, though! :D

Really? i've only had joey who won't have it willingly (he is suspicious of any human intervention - still hasn't forgiven me for his 5 days of meds when he was ill a few months ago). mousey loves it but I have to pick her up- I can't just offer syringe at floor level. shows how different they all are i guess.

Well, Sophie and Casper basically run away as soon as they see a syringe, so I've never really been able to get close enough to try. ;) I'll try it tonight and see if they'll let me come close with the syringe.

Well, Sophie and Casper basically run away as soon as they see a syringe, so I've never really been able to get close enough to try. ;) I'll try it tonight and see if they'll let me come close with the syringe.
Yeah, I'm hoping Lopsy's forgotten about it by now too. Hope your experiment goes well :D

Okay, I tried it and Sophie did take it straight out of the syringe! I was really surprised! Casper ran away as I expected, though. :lol:

Sorry for derailing your thread a bit, keletkezes!

Okay, I tried it and Sophie did take it straight out of the syringe! I was really surprised! Casper ran away as I expected, though. :lol:

Sorry for derailing your thread a bit, keletkezes!
Nooo, we're all learning something! You CAN teach an old rabbit new tricks :D That's half the bunnies you need to do pellety medication for now :thumb: Well done Sophie :D She might even 'teach' Casper :)

Yeah, Sophie and I both learned something new today! :D I tried to give her her daily Emeprid, too, but she didn't want to take that out of the syringe. It must not taste as nice. So, I still need to put that on some pellets for her. But it'll still make things easier! :D It would be nice if she'd teach Casper. He's a stubborn one, though. :lol:

Little terror isn't as interested in eating this morning as usual. I think it's because he's in pain: it's his longest time between medications AND I caught him toothgrinding yesterday about 12hrs after I medicated him, and he was very lightly toothgrinding when i woke him up this morning (it was sleepy time). I phoned the vet this morning (before I found out he was being difficult) and he was on the minimum dose, now he's on the maximum, spread across twice a day (or once a day, vet said either was OK). Anyway, being a combination of sleepy time and upset routine and only just medicated, I'm not TOO concerned: he IS eating bits of hay, the odd leaf of lavender etc., I think it's more me being paranoid But he refused his medicated treat, the second medicated treat (in case the first was too wet? Who knows), but did trough enthusiastically through his (10) pellets until he got to the too-wet medicated ones, which he didn't want but I could handfeed them to him, and he didn't just pick them up and drop them.

We're supposed to be going away today. If he isn't eating by 12noon-1pm, normal 'lunch' time for them, then i'll ring the vets back (mine are thankfully open on weekends until the afternoon) and we won't be going. But it's just visiting OH's parents, we're not 'missing out' on anything as such. We can just delay later in the week if necessary. I have confidence in my rabbit sitter though, at least to spot bad signs, and we're 2:15hrs away so not too far if I do need to head back.

Rabbits and paranoia :sigh: My gut feeling is he's fine, but there's no evidence to confirm it yet :roll:

I'm glad Lopsy is eating a little. It does sound concerning, though, that he's not eating as much as usual, so I wouldn't say you're being paranoid. I hope he'll soon start eating better soon, and I'm sending him a lot of vibes.

He's been to the emergency vets, we just got back. He's still eating a little, here and there, but he's 'out of it' quite a lot*, and he sniffs around at food and then decides he doesn't want any. Emergency vet couldn't find anything to indicate an issue, did offer to do more tests, keep him in etc. but they're REALLY busy (I could hear 3 distinct loud dogs in the background) and without anything to really go on, I thought it best to get him a gut stimulant injection and get him home. So emeprid has happened, and he's had vetergesic (* IIRC this might be causing him to be out of it? It is an opioid.). I'm kinda at a loss to know what to do :( It's been so long since we've had to medicate him, and everybun else bounced back really quick, I don't remember how unwell he was for how long 6yrs ago!

If he's getting any worse we'll take him back. The emergency vets is very close to us :)

He was chewing his food really thoroughly again before going to the vets. less so now. Vet also said his back legs were stiff but not undulty so, and I did notice yesterday his hops were a bit stiff-looking, but then he was also in and out of pots which he hadn't been doing until Wednesday... We've left him with loads of food around and it's one of the times we've been glad Chibbs is the least food motivated bun we know XD We put pellets in the carrier to entice him in, and she went in and came straight back out, didn't even bother!

ETA gut sounds there, no concerns but I reckon they can't have been 'normal', no palpable signs of bloating or blockage, but I've not investigated for poo yet (he did eat a cecotroph before we went). We have recovery food if we need it.

E-ETA: I think I've found normal-looking poo :) He's had a drink too :) I reread the last(?) vetergesic thread from 2018 and I'm happy with how he's presenting and why he's been given it. Chibbs seems a bit worried about him :love: SHe doens't know what to do either.

Last edited:
Oh no really sorry to hear this KK, hope the gut stimulant helps poor Lopsy. I can't remember what it was for, but Treacle was given vetergesic once, and she was very whoozy for a good few hours, and wobbly legged.

Back