• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Loosing a rabit (RIP 21.09.15)

I am guessing but until the tooth is removed ur bun my not eat properly. On a positive at least he is still eating something. Did they give u fibreplex to give to help the gut bacteria when they are on antibiotics or the avipro prebiotic which can be sprinkled on their food if they won't drink the water with it in it.

Hi Ra, my bridge bun Rosie had a tooth root absess where the tooth was extracted. I am not exactly sure of the tooth location but the tooth eventually grows back. I think it was a back tooth also. She was on depocillian injections for many months every other day with great success. I had to be shown how to inject the depocillian. Out of interest what vet are you using ? I have to travel 60 miles to go to Cedarmount in Bangor where Carol and Craig are fantastic bunny vets as they treat a lot of the Assisi rabbits.

I use Vets for Pets in Carrick, the vet herself is a rabbit keeper.... I didn't like my last vet so I decided to give them a try so this is my first time using them. What was the injection for?

They gave me ranitidine after the operation, I haven't give it since he started eating. Should I ask for something to help his gut on Monday?

The injection of depocillian was an injectable antibiotic which targets abscesses. Sounds like ur vet might be giving the same thing if u r having to go in every 48hrs for it but just check what it is. But if it is u r talking a couple of months of injecting it every other day and then it becomes twice a week for while . Lik i said they can show u how to do it which is scary at first but u do get better at it . I know I said that my Rosie's tooth had to come out but I am not 100% sure if the tooth has to come out in every case. Did ur vet say it had to ?? The ranidine is a gut stimulant and that helps the poo move along so I guess after the dental things can be slower so they just wanted to make sure. Is he pooping ok ??

If the vet isnt keen removing the tooth I would defo give Carol or Craig a try in Cedarmount. Their knowledge and expertise is amazing it truly is and plus they are lovely also. I guess they just see so many buns with different ailments from Assisi plus Carol spent 5 years working in New York almost exclusively with rabbits. Not trying to say anything wrong about ur vet but just saying if you wanted a third opinion. I hope Guh is stilling eating and stable today.

Thanks Nicky, yeah he is still eating and pooping today. Still enjoys his mushy food. I will have a chat with the vet on Monday and see what the plan is. If the vest isn't keen on removing the tooth I have no problem trying another vet for him :) Thanks for the advice

My wee bun isn't doing well at all, he's not eating. I've fed him critical care but he doesn't look good. Poor wee man I feel terrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry, I've no advice I'm afraid, but sending vibes for your little bun. Hope he picks up soon xxxx

So very sorry you have lost poor Guh. You did your very best. It's so very sad but at least he's not suffering any more. We know how much you loved him and these things happen. All we can do is our best. RIP Guh. xxxx

Ra,

I am so sorry for your loss of your Guh. You did everything you could to help him and he could not have asked for a more caring person in his 8.5 years with you.
(((((Hug)))).

Back