• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

looking to rehome rabbit does it have to be local?

We've had the discussion about local rescues before..And I do rehome nationally as I pointed out last time ..if i relied on Leicestershire I would have only rehomed 30% of the buns we have:cry: ...bad for dumping animals not good for homing round here:cry:
and yes if a rabbit hated travelling then obviously we would only rehome locally

The main thing is to find a bun that is right for you!:D ....Suzy hope you get the little chap from notts!:D

Last edited:
Claire travelled to Yorkshire from Norwich (3 + hrs each way) to collect our two french lops from a re-homing centre. They seemed to have coped very well with the travel, apprently they slept throughout the trip.

Phil

hello

thanks for all your posts. Hope I haven't sparked off another debate :oops:

I haven't looked around any of the rescues around me but I have enquired by phone/email. I think (I may be wrong) that some rescues may bond a couple of bunnies together so they can be rehomed together??? So there may be a shortage of lone male buns but I could be completely and utterly wrong!

Its just that one rescue I looked at seemed to have a lot of 'couples' and only a few singletons :lol: but many were either too big or female.

I did also enquire ages ago about some dumped bunnies near me but they had already been rehomed.

I honestly believe if you can you should rehome locally but I also think that the bunny does have to have that 'something' that you pick up on like someone else said on here. And this bunny had a wild appearance which I thought would be nice for Spudsey. Shes a wild bunny and putting her with a odd looking bunny (sorry not much into these fancy breeds:oops: ) or white as white can be bunny would be so different to what she looks like.

Squirrel has come from a pet shop he was bought as a present which wasn't wanted, the pet shop didn't enquire with the owner before he was bought about anything and refused to take him back. Apparently he used to squeal when picked up but is much better now. Have emailed the lady again with more questions re the rehoming process so will keep you posted.

Suzanne

If you really want a rabbit from far away and are able to have it brought to you I'd say do it:)
Aroma came from all accross the contry too (I live in the middle of Norway, she lived far south) but then again she wasn't a rescue, and I really wanted a brown sable rex, a variety that isn't very normal in my area. (I reserved 3 sables form a breeder nearby which all died befoer I got to meet them:shock: )
I got another woman who was getting a rabbit from the same breeder to bring Aroma to me, she had bought 2 bunnies on that trip, so bringing a 3. one along wasn't any problem at all:D She made several stops to give the rabbits a break and some water under the way and they didn't seem to bothered by the long distance they had been traveling:)

Oh no sorry, I didn't mean you were :oops:

It just that there are very few options close to me, so a longer distance is the only option :)

I agree that if there are rescues close by, you should look there first ideally when rehoming.

rosie rabbit don't apologise, I was worried that people thought that I thought that people who don't rehome locally are evil :shock: (which I do not by the way).

suzynick he sounds very sweet! You're right it does seem to be a bit more difficult to get single buns, I had to wait a little while to get a girlfriend for Inky. I think it's because rescues, quite rightly, like to rehome in pairs.

Suzynick...if Squirrel doesn't work out, I've got a litter of 7 babies ready in about a week or so (they're currently 6 weeks and 5 days old).

There's one agouti, but s/he is loppy, so doesn't look too much like a wild bun.

They were originally going to a foster to be rehomed, but unfortunately certain events mean that this isn't possible, and no rescues I've tried have space for babies at the moment :cry:

Suzynick...if Squirrel doesn't work out, I've got a litter of 7 babies ready in about a week or so (they're currently 6 weeks and 5 days old).

There's one agouti, but s/he is loppy, so doesn't look too much like a wild bun.

They were originally going to a foster to be rehomed, but unfortunately certain events mean that this isn't possible, and no rescues I've tried have space for babies at the moment :cry:

awwww I wish I had a large garden and lots of money as there are so many bunnies needing a home! :cry:

I will bear you in mind thank you.....

Not heard back from the lady yet have bombarded her with questions relating to Squirrel.

Rehoming in Ayrshire

We're having the same dilemma - looking to get Rosie a husbun but there are no rabbit rescues nearer than 100 miles. We'll have to travel to one, but are happy to do that to ensure she is bonded with the right bun.

Good luck! :D

Hiya noticed that you come from Ayrshire as do I. I'm looking to rehome my girl netherland Dwarf bunnie. Un fortunatlet due to work comittments I'm not longer able to give her the time and attention she deserves but I would like her to go to a loving new home. Any suggestions? I have tried phoning the local pet shops and SSPCA but have had no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thankyou
Kirsteen

Squirrel rabbit has been taken off the website and I should be able to pick him up next week sometime! Hes being neutered this week.

Also managed to pick up a wooden playhouse for £25! :D Needs new roof and potential new floor :roll: but hopefully it will be ok once its all repaired.

:D :D :D :D :D

Things are moving at last!

Hiya noticed that you come from Ayrshire as do I. I'm looking to rehome my girl netherland Dwarf bunnie. Un fortunatlet due to work comittments I'm not longer able to give her the time and attention she deserves but I would like her to go to a loving new home. Any suggestions? I have tried phoning the local pet shops and SSPCA but have had no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thankyou
Kirsteen

Hi Kirsteen,

I have sent you a PM.

Helen

Back