• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking for some advice - 1st time bun mum!

I think I may call the local shelter branch today and let them know that I'm after a female bun and to call me if anything comes up... I'll also let the pet store know as they re-home a lot of animals also... (We live in a very small town and it happens toooooo much here :()

Well done for giving him a home.

I can tell you are doing a lot as you have timothy hay, no mean feat in Australia.

I'm trying to work out where you are having snow in winter and eagles flying around. :)

Another Aussie member! Pancakes is adorable! If he hasn't already, it won't be long before he has you wrapped around his little paw!

If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts (roughly) do you live? I know of a few rescues around so may be able to help! Plus I am also a member on an Aussie guinea pig forum, so can put the word out there if you would like. The other place to look is petrescue - http://www.petrescue.com.au/

If you are after a good pellet, I would recommend Oxbows products (oxbow rabbit T). http://oxbowaustralia.com/Retail Locations.htm They are brilliant, and in terms of guinea pigs - the number 1 pellet on the market available in Australia. I am fairly new to the world of rabbits, so not sure how they rank in the rabbit world however they are very highly recommended.

Timothy hay is like gold in Australia! How did you manage to find it? I have been able to get it in small bags from Oxbow, but it isn't economical to feed it in the unlimited quantities that they require.

I live in the snowy mountains (NSW).

We have snow and eagles here lol... nd butcher birds which are also pretty nasty...Where are you guys located?

Thanks for the info fellow Aussies!

I had no idea timothy hay was so hard to find here!! There is a massive rural industrial area near where I live where we buy bails of hay and they had bags marked timothy hay so i grabbed a few lol. Be interesting to see if it was a one off?

I am hoping to have Pancakes neutered next week at the same time I have one of my dogs spayed (money permitting) and then hopefully I can find a rescue bun I dont have to travel too far to get.

Question- Pancakes is around 2.5 yrs old, would it be easier/better to bond him with a young bun? as in 8-12 weeks old? I am new to this world and it will be my first time attempting to bond so would that be the easiest option?

ETA:

Pigsforlife - What breed is Charlee? Cakes looks quite similar :)

Last edited:
I am from Western Australia - otherside of the continent!

If you are in NSW, I would recommend dropping Porsche an email. Here is her profile page on petrescue http://www.petrescue.com.au/member/787 . According to her profile, she is located near Hornsby. I am not sure how far that is from you, but I know in some instances rescues will offer to drive half way - or you can even have them flown. I fell in love with one of Porsche's bunnies and was going to fly him over as a buddy for Charlee. In the end it didn't work out and I found a rescue a bit closer to home!

Hay is soo annoying to get here. I travel a good hour each way to a stockfeed shop to get a bale of hay. The quality differs quite a bit. At the moment we have meadow hay.

As for bonding, I have no advice to offer as Charlee is by herself at the moment. We decided to wait until we are in a house of our own - that way it won't matter if they destroy it (Charlee is very good at not destroying the current home we are in, but we don't want to push our luck). However, if you do go through the rescue option they often have a meet and greet. The rescue here in Perth that I am in contact with, will try the bunnies together on nuetral terms. If it doesn't look like it is going to work out, we try them with another one. And so on until we find a match - sometimes bonding buns isn't that easy and it can take weeks, even months. I'm too chicken myself, I think when I get to that stage Charlee will go off and visit them for a week until they are bonded! :lol:

Charlee is a netherland dwarf! She is a cheeky little critter, but has steadily grown from 800g to 1.2kg!!

I am from Western Australia - otherside of the continent!

If you are in NSW, I would recommend dropping Porsche an email. Here is her profile page on petrescue http://www.petrescue.com.au/member/787 . According to her profile, she is located near Hornsby. I am not sure how far that is from you, but I know in some instances rescues will offer to drive half way - or you can even have them flown. I fell in love with one of Porsche's bunnies and was going to fly him over as a buddy for Charlee. In the end it didn't work out and I found a rescue a bit closer to home!

Hay is soo annoying to get here. I travel a good hour each way to a stockfeed shop to get a bale of hay. The quality differs quite a bit. At the moment we have meadow hay.

As for bonding, I have no advice to offer as Charlee is by herself at the moment. We decided to wait until we are in a house of our own - that way it won't matter if they destroy it (Charlee is very good at not destroying the current home we are in, but we don't want to push our luck). However, if you do go through the rescue option they often have a meet and greet. The rescue here in Perth that I am in contact with, will try the bunnies together on nuetral terms. If it doesn't look like it is going to work out, we try them with another one. And so on until we find a match - sometimes bonding buns isn't that easy and it can take weeks, even months. I'm too chicken myself, I think when I get to that stage Charlee will go off and visit them for a week until they are bonded! :lol:

Charlee is a netherland dwarf! She is a cheeky little critter, but has steadily grown from 800g to 1.2kg!!

Thanks for that info! Hornsby is is Sydney - maybe 8 hrs from us. Canberra is closer so I'll take a look at the rescues there when Cakes is neutered...

Charlee really looks a lot like our Mr. Cakes... They have the same markings and are the same colour... Maybe he is a ND too? He's about 1.5 kgs so I guess thats about right? I have no idea how big rabbits normally get lol.

Ah then, Sydney is probably just a little too far! :lol: I reckon you will have luck in Canberra though when you are ready to get him a wifey. Just looking at the number of bunnies in RSPCA ACT - you should have no problem!

Yes I would say he probably is the same/similar breed. Rabbits can range in size - from little nethies right through to large breeds like the flemish giant (which I think weigh around the 7kg mark). Based upon his weight, I would say he is a nethie. Charlee is only 7 months old, so still may have a little growing to do whereas Pancakes has probably stopped. On Charlee's vet card they have her full breed down as a "chocolate otter netherland dwarf." The chocolate otter part is her colouring.

Ah then, Sydney is probably just a little too far! :lol: I reckon you will have luck in Canberra though when you are ready to get him a wifey. Just looking at the number of bunnies in RSPCA ACT - you should have no problem!

Yes I would say he probably is the same/similar breed. Rabbits can range in size - from little nethies right through to large breeds like the flemish giant (which I think weigh around the 7kg mark). Based upon his weight, I would say he is a nethie. Charlee is only 7 months old, so still may have a little growing to do whereas Pancakes has probably stopped. On Charlee's vet card they have her full breed down as a "chocolate otter netherland dwarf." The chocolate otter part is her colouring.

Ah yay! I was always wondering but they do look so similar. His markings are exactly like hers :)

Back