• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Look at this possible hutch for 2 rabbits. Is this ok do you think?

Laura325630

Young Bun
Hi all, we are soon to be getting bunny number 2. Blossom is now an outdoor rabbit and so feel its unfair for her to be an only bunny. Im looking at hutches and will obviously buy the new one before we find the next rabbit for bonding/separation. I want something big enough for 2, something with a big/safe run for when we are out and something for under £100.

I have found this and wonder if its suitable. I am steering towards chicken coops as my daughter spends hours with Blossom some days in her run now. I have a separate run that can be used when we are home and you can get extensions for this one which I may invest in when the summer is ending.

Any advice or other options would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

http://www.chickencoopsuk.net/chicken-coops/cube-chicken-coop-and-run.html

On looking at it again I would probably order the extension at the same time. There is a photo of rabbits in it and its doesnt look as big as it seems.

Personally I don't think that is anywhere near big enough I'm afraid :(

Even with the extension it works out at just over 7ft by almost 2.5 foot. Which is about 17.5 square foot.... The minimum recommended by the rwaf is a 6x2 hutch connected at all times to a 8x4 run (recently increased from their previous recommendation of 6x4 run) this gives the buns 44 square foot. So I'm afraid the one you have linked isn't even half the recommended size!

Plus lots of members of this forum have started out with coops and they pretty much unanimously agree that they are a pain to clean out!!! The doors are narrow and it's really hard to reach corners or even interact with the buns who you also can't reach!

If you look at the stickies at the top of the housing section of the forum there is an 'outdoor housing' thread with loads of ideas!

It does look small with the rabbits in but I think the other pics make it look huge

The bed area is 80cm x 80cm which is small and then that is split inside to 2 levels so even smaller yes :(

It's also very low to the ground and cleaning out will be back breaking after a while ;) and can you fit thru that small door to get underneath the bed area to clean there :shock:

I say this from experience as I have a similar one :oops:
e859a4187ca39772feb59c52a84b2c13.jpg

As you can see it's not the only thing I have now don't buy it on a whim and then find out you can get bigger cheaper and better ;) like me :oops:

Last edited:
It looks lovely but to be honest I think the stock photo of it is a bit misleading - if you look at the dimensions it is 5.25ft by 2.5ft for the standard coop (shelter + run), which is a little smaller than the recommended hutch size on it's own, not including the recommended minimum run size of 8ft by 4ft on top of the hutch.

Unfortunately, coops look lovely but aren't designed for rabbits - chickens sleep at night but for rabbits it is their active time. I think to make the coop fit the guidelines for rabbit housing, you'd have to modify it significantly, you'd have to make the rest of the coop 'all-weather' by blocking off the sides, adding a floor and basically turning it into a hutch-like thing. I also think your daughter, unless she's very young, wouldn't find the run as spacious as it looks, as it is still less than 3ft tall.

Have you considered a shed or playhouse attached to a run? These can work really well as you can go and sit with the bunnies in all weathers, and there is room for a stool or cushion to sit on. You can also use shelves for enrichment and extra space.

The RWAF has a thing on their facebook page at the moment where people are posting pics of their shed setups, might be worth a look for some inspiration: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rabbit-Welfare-Association-and-Fund/191449507147?fref=ts

Thank you all. Some very good points there. I love the set up you have with the tubes to the other runs, MrsMcary! That is something I could definitely look into doing with the stand alone run I have. Its tricky knowing what is best to buy. I want this hutch to last sometime and for the bunnies to be happy. Im not sure about leaving them in the run at night, we have foxes around here. I could if there was wire on the bottom but I had read that isnt good for bunnies feet.

I will look at the stickies on this section, thanks for that. Ive contacted someone about a buck that she has, he will be ready to leave on the 18th of July so I really to find something soon... :)

They certainly make it look large in the pic but I'm afraid, as others have said, it is way too small. The other thing is that, at that price, I doubt that it is of a very high quality/could be expected to last long.

Back