• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lola and her feet

zarathustra

Warren Scout
While grooming Lola recently I notice small hairless patches on each of her back feet, which look to me like sore hocks.

I'm going to give the vets a bell tomorrow to see if I can get her in next year.

While I wait for an appointment, is there anything I can do to try and stop things from getting worse?

I think it could be due to the amount of rain we've had recently, as we also trying to help her with some areas that get matted that she can't reach herself.

They are outside rabbits, so it's going to be hard to do too much to give them a softer surface to sit one when they aren't in the hutch or litter trays etc.

Sore hocks can be a secondary symptom of a mobility problem related to arthritis. So identifying the cause is as important as treating the sore hocks.

Can you cover the run so it does not get wet and then put lots of soft hay down as a substrate. I would not put any topical treatment on the hocks until a Vet has examined her. She may be in some pain so I would call the Vet today to see if you can at least have some Metacam for her until she can be fully examined.

https://www.hallamvets.co.uk/2018/08/06/pododermatitis-in-rabbits-sore-hocks/

Thanks, the run has a cover, but when we have a lot of rain it does start to pool and run through the run.

We have some plastic temporary flooring that might be a bit more forgiving on her feet, and while it might not keep them totally dry it would lift them out of any puddles that might form.

So I will make that up and put it under the run.

She doesn't seem to be in too much discomfort at the moment, she still gallops about like a lunatic at breakfast and dinner time, and the two patches (both no bigger than a 5p piece) aren't red or inflamed that I could see.

In the longer run you could make simple decking to lift her out of the puddles, and smooth wood would be softer than concrete or similar - and could easily be covered with hay or straw too.

Back