• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Living alone with bunnies/pets

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I’m going to be living alone with my furries, in the not too distant future.

I’m becoming increasingly concerned about something happening (either to me, or, when I’m out, to the house) and the bunnies suffering as a result.

I’ve done a few things and created a few alerts, but what do other people do to protect their furry loved ones?

Thanks in advance.

Very natural. We live in communal flats ie converted building. My neighbours would know if something was up and have spare keys. Let someone know you trust.

I hope someone will notice if anything happens to mealthough I do wonder how long it might take.

Paranoia means I make sure the furries would be OK for a couple of days anyway, should anything happen. Rabbits have plenty of fresh hay and shelter; bowls of water are full and bigger than they would use in 24hr, trays are clean. I also make sure that they are all safe when I go out - switch everything off, close windows, make sure cats have access to the kitchen but dogs don't, etc. Dogs and cats would be hungry and there would be a bit of a mess, but they would be OK. Everything else (small caged beasties) has access to food etc for a few days anyway.

Someone locally has a spare key (daughter) and the ability to get to my house at any time. I also have her key. Her and OH know what to do with the animals, at least on a daily basis. I've got a full set of care instructions as a draft document on my email account (which she would be able to access if needed), plus a written one in the food cupboard (in a plastic wallet taped inside cupboard door, updated with any major changes eg meds, RIP, new arrivals). There's also a note with my will regarding the care of my animals. Daughter has the same solicitor for hers, so knows where that is.

I never leave the house but as things are now with my poor health I have measures in place whereby if I have not emailed my best friend in Norfolk by 9am every morning she will contact another friend who lives just down the road rim me and has a Key to my house. She is a Vet and is IC insuring my Rabbits and Morse will be taken care of. I have been paying a monthly DD to my local Rescue who have agreed to try to find any Pets I have remaking a new home. Or to give them Sanctuary Status if they cannot be rehomed for some reason. My Vet friend is also helping me sort out a personal alarm in case I have another fall. Last time I was stuck on the floor for hours !!

Very natural. We live in communal flats ie converted building. My neighbours would know if something was up and have spare keys. Let someone know you trust.

Thank you. My parents are ten mins away, so they will be able to access if it’s not an acute issue.

I hope someone will notice if anything happens to mealthough I do wonder how long it might take.

Paranoia means I make sure the furries would be OK for a couple of days anyway, should anything happen. Rabbits have plenty of fresh hay and shelter; bowls of water are full and bigger than they would use in 24hr, trays are clean. I also make sure that they are all safe when I go out - switch everything off, close windows, make sure cats have access to the kitchen but dogs don't, etc. Dogs and cats would be hungry and there would be a bit of a mess, but they would be OK. Everything else (small caged beasties) has access to food etc for a few days anyway.

Someone locally has a spare key (daughter) and the ability to get to my house at any time. I also have her key. Her and OH know what to do with the animals, at least on a daily basis. I've got a full set of care instructions as a draft document on my email account (which she would be able to access if needed), plus a written one in the food cupboard (in a plastic wallet taped inside cupboard door, updated with any major changes eg meds, RIP, new arrivals). There's also a note with my will regarding the care of my animals. Daughter has the same solicitor for hers, so knows where that is.

This is super helpful, thank you. Most of that I’d thought of, but there are some gems.

I think I’ll get a couple of bigger water bowls, for sure.

I never leave the house but as things are now with my poor health I have measures in place whereby if I have not emailed my best friend in Norfolk by 9am every morning she will contact another friend who lives just down the road rim me and has a Key to my house. She is a Vet and is IC insuring my Rabbits and Morse will be taken care of. I have been paying a monthly DD to my local Rescue who have agreed to try to find any Pets I have remaking a new home. Or to give them Sanctuary Status if they cannot be rehomed for some reason. My Vet friend is also helping me sort out a personal alarm in case I have another fall. Last time I was stuck on the floor for hours !!

That’s awful! A personal alarm is a must for. Thankfully, i think my parents would take the buns, so I don’t have to think about where they would go.

I think I’ll get a couple of bigger water bowls, for sure.

I also like to have more than one water source available at all times, if possible, in different locations in case something happens to one. Bowls can get knocked or contaminated. Bottles fail, leak, fall off. If there are 2 bowls available, there's a better chance of at least one being OK. It also means that any vulnerable individual in a group has a better chance of meeting their needs if they have a choice of bowls, feeders, etc.

have an 'ice' alert on your phone to tell emergency services who to contact in case you have an accident and can't communicate yourself.

Back