• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training

BamBam98

New Kit
New baby mini lops not getting litter training! They're just over 2 months old, males, well bonded and getting more confident every day but I can't get them to understand the litter box. They toilet EVERYWHERE! I want them to free roam eventually but can't if they don't get this! They're currently in an 6×5ft play pen in my spare bedroom with a indoor cage with no doors inside because they like the hidey hole in it... They come out maybe once a day for a short while but I'm mainly keeping them contained so they're close to the litter tray in hopes they find it easier... I have a full sized cat litter tray in the corner of the cage so they can get fully in it and I have a large holed hay feeder above it in the corner so they can eat at the same time... I've been putting some droppings and any urine strained straw and chippings in the tray when they go elsewhere, but a week in and no real progress... Is this normal for their age? Is there anything I can do to help speed up the process? I will be getting them neutered when they're old enough but they're too young at the moment. Help please!!

It's fairy normal, and very early days. Things should improve in time and after neutering. Meanwhile, try some extra trays in the areas they tend to toilet in. Hay to feed on, both in and above the trays, is also a good idea as they will toilet as they eat. The poo isn't so bad to sweep up, but they really do need trays where they are weeing.

If there is straw or hay anywhere else except in the litter trays then they will use it as a toilet. Also, if Mum wasn't litter trained then it is going to be more difficult for them to learn. They are very young still and should get better after neuter.

Back