• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter choices

i previously used newspaper but found his bottome used to get a little wet. i changed to cat littler. the clumping one from tesco is perfect and really cheap. he was using a cat litter bowl type thing esp for rabbits and so worked perfectly xx

i previously used newspaper but found his bottome used to get a little wet. i changed to cat littler. the clumping one from tesco is perfect and really cheap. he was using a cat litter bowl type thing esp for rabbits and so worked perfectly xx

I don't want to come across mean but I have to say it. Clumping cat litter really isn't good for rabbits. It's too dusty and can get in their lungs. The pelleted wood stuff is excellent though and works well.

I don't want to come across mean but I have to say it. Clumping cat litter really isn't good for rabbits. It's too dusty and can get in their lungs. The pelleted wood stuff is excellent though and works well.

i agree its also really dangerous if they eat it too.
Just trying to be helpfull :D

I use Sophisticat on top of a few sheets of newspaper. It's pretty much the same as the P@H wood cat litter. Hilary has longish hair so most other things stick and she's an indoor bunny so she then drags whatever is stuck to her around my living room!

I don't have any big pet shops near me so I get this from Sainsburys - I have to carry it home so while it's more expensive I can actually manage it! It's really good stuff too. I sometimes get Catoilet if they don't have Sophisticat, which is newspaper based I think but not as good at absorbing wet or odour.

Used to use Bio catolet, which was great, but they have bumped up the price a lot now, so im back to just using newspaper and hay, which works fine so long as its changed regularly.

Used to use Bio catolet, which was great, but they have bumped up the price a lot now, so im back to just using newspaper and hay, which works fine so long as its changed regularly.

I think thats the key but it works best for us. i generally clean out once or twice a day but you cant leave it any longer than that.

I used to use the Pets @ Home wooden cat litter, but they have changed it, and it's not as absorbant! :evil:
Tibbsy has issues with her urinary tract, so drinks and wets a lot (the vet has seen her, don't worry), so we need something quite absorbant.

I'm going to try the Asda version next, but in the interim, the Tesco one has been good, but only comes in little bags. :roll:

I started off with megazorb and have tried various other things since, such as Yesterday's News, a mineral-based one from Wilkinson (possibly Catsan?) and most recently Tesco paper based and wood based cat litter. I've been desperately trying to find something as good as megazorb but failing. The Tesco ones I'm using at the moment don't seem very good on odour and the paper-based one is really dusty. The mineral one ended up all over the place. And they all get used up really quickly. Megazorb really is the best, if you can get hold of it. When I got my first bag, I had to get it delivered to work and then drag it home by bus and foot. Not an experience I wish to repeat, my arms ached for three days afterwards. I ordered another bag two days ago but with my home address for delivery, following it up with an email with instructions on how to get into the building and to leave it outside my front door. They haven't replied. I don't think this is going to end well.

I began using wood shavings, but people said they were bad for bunnies, so I tried newspaper, which he just trashes and eats. So that idea abandoned, I tried SmartCat, a paper-based litter, which seems to be successful, as it absorbs well, no odour, and, most importantly, he doesn't eat it!

I use the PAH wood pellet litter. I tried Megazorb, but i found ot made too much of a mess through my house, sticking to the carpet and my socks!

I used to use Carefresh, but it's just so expensive that I decided to switch to Megazorb which I had read lots about. The buns have had it for about the last 2 weeks now and it seems to be just as good as carefresh.

Back