• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Liquorice not himself....should i be worried? U/D been to vet

No we use vetbed....use woodshaving for litter tray though. He wasnt on any med for his eye no.

I dont know why any pain relief wasnt given...should it have been ...i didnt think to ask???

What do u think it could be? im so worried!!!!

There is no point trying to speculate what may or maynot be wrong. From the treatment given your Vet appears to suspect a severe acute infection. This may well cause an enlarged Liver/spleen.
The important thing to focus on is getting Liquorice warm and hydrated. If the Science Recovery feed distresses him then just give syringed cooled boiled water for now. You could add a herbal tea-bag to the water, I use either Camomile and Spearmint or Blackberry and Nettle. If you can contact the Vet and ask why no pain relief was given that might be a good idea. I can understand why a NSAID was not given ( Vet may have been concerned about giving a Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory to a Bun with an enlarged liver) but an opiate should be OK.

Please keep us posted as to how Liquorice is doing

Janex

we've given him about 3mls of science recovery and tried to give him as much water has we can....

hes just dropped about 20 poos (because im so worried im counting:roll:) where he was lying. they are of normal consistancy!!! thats got to be good...right?????

we've given him about 3mls of science recovery and tried to give him as much water has we can....

hes just dropped about 20 poos (because im so worried im counting:roll:) where he was lying. they are of normal consistancy!!! thats got to be good...right?????

Yep, it means his guts are ticking over.
I was thinking if he has been very lethargic after his Vet trip then *maybe* he did actually receive an opiate pain killer? They can make a Bun very drowsy.

Anyway, I would just continue with the fluids, keep him warm and offer him some of his fave veg, finely gratted/chopped. Dont overface him by putting a lot infront of him. Just a tiny amount to try to tempt him.

If he does have an acute infection he will feel rubbishy and so may not show much sign of improvement until the abx kick in. That should happen within 48 hours. Meantime warmth, fluids and keeping his guts ticking over will be the best supportive care to give.

Janex

just gave him his 3rd bit of mushed up food and water and his stomach is so bloated and swollen...almost feels like a big bone!!!!!

Im sure that wasnt there before! i would have noticed!!!!!

You must be so worried.

I can't offer any advice, but I adore your Liquorice. I hope he is going to be OK. I am sure someone will advise you soon.

Thinking of you and sending vibes for Liquorice.

Vanessa xx

just gave him his 3rd bit of mushed up food and water and his stomach is so bloated and swollen...almost feels like a big bone!!!!!

Im sure that wasnt there before! i would have noticed!!!!!

I would *not* syringe feed him anymore. I would phone the Vet again now.

Can you check the whites of Liquorices eyes and the inner side of his lips. Do they look yellow?

I dont want to distress you even more but the bloated stomach is a major concern and I think you need to get him admitted for intensive care.
Please keep us posted

Janex

Are you closer to gateshead or middlesborough? You could always try a local practices emergency vetinary service, see if they will see the bunny. What part of Durham are you in? Sending vibes for liquorice.

in houghton le spring near sunderland. I am def goin to take him in morning if no better

I am so concerned that tomorrow may be too late :cry:

I dont know if the 'bloating' you describe is his stomach, or if he is in Liver failure and the 'bloating' is acitites. Either way what you have descibed in your posts makes me feel that Liquorice really needs to see a Vet again as *what you descibe* indicates a life threatening condition

:cry:

Janex

Ive only just caught up with this thread,
I would take Jane's advice and get him to a vet asap.

Loads of vibes for Liquorice x

I hope he is going to be OK. If he is bloated he is going to be in an awful lot of discomfort and really needs pain relief now. Regardless of if its liver failure or bloat he will decline rapidly over the next few hours. He will need intensive support, particularly fluid therapy, which only a vet can provide.

i agree, my husband and i found ourselves in the exact same position in october with our gizmo:cry:. Started out very much the same as you described. We thought that if there was no improvement then we'd return to the vets the next day.

Unfortunately we didn't get that chance, we lost her in the night. We didn't fully appreciate the serverity and so she died. I don't know if we could of saved her if we had returned to the vet, but i do know that i'll always regret not taking her back again that night.:cry::cry:

Grab your keys and take him in now while you still have the chance. I dont want to sound abrupt but i feel that this is really serious. I hope that you take my advice so that you don't have the regrets i have.:cry:

gem

Liquorice died last night.

We gave him some food by syringe before i read these posts, placed him down on the floor and he paniked.

he seemed to hav a heartattack or fit. He died in my fiance's arms at 7:45pm.

Sleep tight little baby liquorice XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Back