• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lionel is having leg amputated tomorrow UPDATE its done

I saw Lionel after his op' and he was really perky :D

Hopefully Katie will update us but I know that she and her family have had a very sad day today :cry: Just wanted to let everyone know that teeny-weeny Lionel is doing OK

Janex :)

Thanks for all your wishes everyone :)

The op went as well as could be expected.
He is home now, he looks awful and its heartbreaking to look at him, hes really sleepy and just lying down he has eaten and pooed though so thats a good sign.

Not sure if i should seperate him and Lolly for the time being as she is a bit overexcited and has climbed on him a few times?!

Oooh I am glad he is okay at the mo, it does look terrible at the start but it soon gets better!!

Thinking of you still xx

poor little baby.. hope he starts to feel better soon and is showing you how clever he is running around again xxxxxx

Thanks for all your wishes everyone :)

The op went as well as could be expected.
He is home now, he looks awful and its heartbreaking to look at him, hes really sleepy and just lying down he has eaten and pooed though so thats a good sign.

Not sure if i should seperate him and Lolly for the time being as she is a bit overexcited and has climbed on him a few times?!

Glad to hear that Lionel is now back home, although a bit worse for his experience.

If you can try and keep the two buns together, even if she is climbing on him a little, her presence will make things a little less stressful and at least he hasnt got to go through the stress of being rebonded again. He probably doesnt quite smell like the old Lionel who she ws with yesterday, she will calm down

Oh poor little guy, glad he's doing well! I'm sure he'll be up and hopping around on his three legs in no time! :D

Sorry to hear that you couldn't save Lionel's leg. But hopefully he'll be free of abscesses now. Lots of vibes for the little man. :)

Dear Katie,
Im so glad Lionel has come through his operation ok.I felt so guilty when Barlie had her leg amputated,I thought that she would never be able to wash her face again and be able to do all the other bunny things that she does but whithin two days she was up and about and you wouldnt notice she had three legs unless you actually looked.Bugsy her mate washes the bits she cant get to.Good luck with Lionel

Thanks for the vibes everyone :)

Lionel (and Lolly) has gone to stay with my mum for a few days as i have to work and she is in all day to watch him, they have been supervised together today and put to bed in seperate cages next to each other tonight as she is too bouncy and clumsy and keeps standing on him :roll:

Will get some pics up tomorrow :)

My bunny Goofball has her leg removed as well due to bone cancer, and she was only 1 yr. and 11 mth. old at the time. Since then, she's very happy goofing around in the house, except for the first few months after the surgery, as it takes time to get used to a missing leg

Back