• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lillabelle too skinny?

Since we reduced Mischief's and Lillabelle's weight they have done really well. However I feel Lillabelle is still losing weight. She has no tummy really. It is just fur. And her shoulders seem a little bony and she looks thin to me. As I am used to big boned French lops I am used to big boned rabbits. Lillabelle is much slighter and small boned. She just seems a little thin though. When she moves her shoulders and haunches seem to show too much.

Currently she is fed an egg cupfull and a bit of Science Selective.

She has 2 handfuls of fresh greens twice a day. That is usually a mix of greens, curly kale, cavolo nero, spinach (only once in a day at most), cauliflower and stalk, brocolli and stalk, cabbage, carrot peelings (once a week), basil, coriander.

2 handfuls of dried leaves once a day. (dandelion leaves, plantain and others. )

Plus 2 types of good quality meadow and timothy hay.

Is there anyrhing she could have like a feed or something extra to keep her weight on please? She eats everything until she is full and goes back to eat the rest later. And is always begging for treats and nuggets. She zooms around a lot and is a nervy bunny so hence why I think she loses weight easily. We can't really change the hay as Chief eats it too. She has clear eyes and a lovely shine on her coat. She appears very healthy. Thanks.

Are you actually weighing her eg weekly? You can keep a better track that way.
No we don't I'm afraid. We can't pick Lillabelle up really. She is like a wild cat buzzing her head off and we can't get her on the scales. We tried treats and she just nicks it and runs off.

My OH thinks she is just right. I am starting to think he is right. She eats well so it must be going somewhere.

I agree

I agree, she might not be underweight at all. It’s far healthier for a Rabbit to be slim than to carry extra fat. A set of digital baby weighing scales are useful to have. Checking the weight of a Rabbit once a week is part of routine health monitoring.

There is also this

Yes we have those scales. We bought them ages ago when you suggested them before Jane.

I think you are right that she is a healthy weight. I got confused when the vet says Chief is a healthy weight. Tbh I think he still has a bit too much tummy. He is a stockier rabbit though.

After reading the link you sent I think you are right. Lillabelle looks just right but Chief has a big tummy hanging underneath. So he needs to lose a bit more. Not too much though. We can feel his spine and ribs with a little pressure. Thanks Jane x

Maybe we could use a carrier to weigh Lillabelle but she will soon get wise to that aswell I feel...

Last edited:
An adult rabbit ought to have a stable weight. Unplanned weight loss over a couple of weeks should mean a vet check up. Un-needed weight gain shoud also be addressed. So it's very useful to weigh weekly and get used to what is normal for them - write it down every week, then monitor it.

An adult rabbit ought to have a stable weight. Unplanned weight loss over a couple of weeks should mean a vet check up. Un-needed weight gain shoud also be addressed. So it's very useful to weigh weekly and get used to what is normal for them - write it down every week, then monitor it.
We will try and weigh Lillabelle in the carrier weekly if we can catch her. Thanks for your help. Yes we need to make sure our buns are an even weight weekly x

Since she's a bit on the thin side, maybe adding a bit of oats or barley to her diet could help boost her weight. Just a small amount mixed into her regular food might make a difference. Also if meds needed try to buy them in high qualified pharmacy. A close friend of mine run the pharamcy with a Canadian Pharmacy B2B partner and I know all the med from there are good so give it a try!

Last edited:
Since she's a bit on the thin side, maybe adding a bit of oats or barley to her diet could help boost her weight. Just a small amount mixed into her regular food might make a difference. Also if meds needed try to buy them in high qualified pharmacy. A close friend of mine run the pharamcy with a Canadian Pharmacy B2B partner and I know all the med from there are good so give it a try!
I will bear that in mind but think she is ok for now as still has no spine protuding and ribs feel covered and her belly feels slightly full. I think I was worrying more than anything.

I get meds from a local vet (or a pharmacy for things like eyedrops) 😊

Back