• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lifetime pals have fell out*UPDATE*

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
I have a trio of bonded bunnies. Timmy and Errol are neutered brothers who have been together since birth and are now 4 1/2 years old. Molly was bonded to them over a year ago now and they have always made the sweetest trio. i have never worried about any of them being picked on because they all take care of each other and are always snuggled together-they were the picture of how bonded bunnies should be.

However a few days ago when we were in feeding them i had to stop Errol from chasing Timmy. this is so unusual that i cant even express it in words. Timmy was a very sick and small bunny when he was a baby and the rescue he came from explained how Errol has always been at his side taking care of him, and over the last few years i have seen this every day for myself. since the chasing it has been horrible because we are having to go into them to stop them chasing each other quite a few times a day :( I just dont know what could have happened to break such a strong bond :( Does anyone have any ideas?

Molly doesnt get involved at all, and bless the little sweetheart she is going back and forth between the two of them washing them. Errol has taken to sitting on the opposite side of the crate that they all usually cuddle together too. just for some background, they have a 48inch dog crate that always has the door open as they have free range of the largest bedroom with plenty of toys etc. they are usually locked in the crate for an hour or two a day so the pigs can have a run, but i havent been able to do this the last few days as they go for each other if they are closed in together. at first we thought it was Errol causing the trouble but it seems to be mostly Errols fur that is getting pulled out now so im really not sure.

We havent done anything different lately, gave them anything new etc so i really am clueless as to why they are acting like this. yesterday we put the 3 of them in a carrier and brought them into the hall first and then downstairs so it was noisey and different for them in the hope they would bond again, but no such luck yet. we are trying the same again today as we dont have a car to bring them in, but if it comes to it we shall try and walk round the block with them(though i dont fancy that as the 3 of them together weigh about 10kg!:lol:)

The boys usually get very stressed out when they are put in the carrier so i did think it would work just being in the house. they are both scaredy buns, Timmy more so then Errol, and when they are brought to the vets by the time they get there they are usually drooling and panting from stress. them chasing each other is really stressing them out too and after they stop they are both pancaked out at opposite sides of the room panting away :(

Im just so shocked that this is happening. after years together and never a single problem i dont know why now.

If anyone can shed any light on what might be happening or offer any advice i would be really greatful.

Last edited:
Looking at your other posts I see stumpy died recently, what from (i didn't go through all the posts) was it something contagious? cos bunnies will often change their attitude to one another if one is sick.

I think you need to get them to the vets - as Lib says, if there haven't been other changes (for instance, have there been any new bunnies brought into the household recently) this can happen when one of the buns is ill.

Because they are prey animals, their instinct is to chase the ill bun away so that they don't draw attention to the community and attract predators. It can also affect the hierachy with another bun making a play to be 'top bun' if it sees that one is weak.

It's more than likely that the one being picked on is ill but not always - sometimes the aggressor can be the ill one and it is pain that is making them aggressive. So it probably wouldn't hurt to take them all and get them looked at.

Thanks for the replies. Stumpy actually passed away a year ago now so definately nothing to do with that. Molly has been with us for a couple of years now too so no new bunnies. oh and yes they are all neutered and spayed.

Im extremely worried now after reading that it could be that one of them is ill, could there be no other reason for it? i havent noticed anything wrong with any of the bunnies. Errol has a small lump on his chest that he has had since we got him a few years ago, but other then that they all seem healthy. i shall give them all a thorough check over later but yes, maybe a vet visit is in store :(

Right well i have gave them all a check over, and other then the lump i already mentioned i cant find a thing wrong with any of them. they are all definately stressed out as even Molly was drooling a little and shes a brave little madam that doesnt usually let anything bother her. I was also thinking that if one of them was ill wouldnt i have noticed something-im thinking weightloss or loss of appetite? ive noticed nothing like that, they are all definately still eating and drinking, they all have clean bums, eyes and ears etc I know that bunnies can be unpredictable with illnesses and that they hide it very well so im not trying to fool myself, but just trying not to jump to the worse conclusion too i suppose.

I think i shall still bring them for a check up next week anyway as i would like Errols lump looked at again, i noticed it was a little scabby when i checked. For the moment im just trying to rebond them until i see what the vet has to say.

If anyone else has any other suggestions or anything at all id be greatful. I am very worried about them and as i said im not trying to fool myself, but i really am thinking that i might have noticed something if one of them was ill enough to be chased away by the others. I remember Molly done this to Stumpy when he got ill, but shes not involved at all now. would that be because one of the others is doing it for her?

So i brought Errol to the vets today-over the course of the weekend things got worse between him and Timmy and it was more then evident that it was Errol being picked on, especially when Timmy drew blood from him :( Poor Errol now has an abcess on his lip on top of everything else bless him.

Well i rang to get an appointment with the rabbit savvy vet and was told she isnt in this week. at first i decided to book the appointment for next week with her as she really is the best vet to see them with and as Errol hadnt shown any signs of being ill i was going to wait. right after making the appointment i went to check on Errol to find his nose was streaming down to his lips so rang back and got him in today.

It was a bit of a waste of time if im honest. the vet had a listen to his chest, and only looked at the lump on his chest after me mentioning it for the second time :roll: he said to keep an eye on the lump but as i told him that other then the scabbing it had stayed the same for over 3 years, he didnt seem too bothered by it. we have been told to give Errol baytril for a week and see how he goes-seems the typical response. i was very let down as this vet isnt usually too bad, but obviously rabbits just arent his thing :roll: I will more then likely bring him to see the good vet next week if this persists or if he starts to get ill or anything, but i guess all i can do this week is start him on the baytril and keep a close eye on them.

Its horrible because we are having to keep them seperate, one gets locked in the crate for a few hours while the other has time out and then they get swapped around, and after a year of being completely free range i hate doing it. Poor Molly is being swapped around too so that she is still spending time with both of them but other then that i dont know what else to do. Im thinking that to keep doing it like this this week and see what happens with Errols runny nose and abcess and then maybe try to start bonding them again.

this has just caused so much confusion and worrying for us, i really hope things sort themselves out soon, i hate seeing my bunny babies like this :(

My OH has just came down from letting them out together and watching them and he has informed me that it is now Errol going after Timmy!:shock: Could this mean that Errol is feeling better already and trying to take back his place of being in charge? these bunnies sure are keeping us on our toes!!

Back