• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lesson in forage to help minor issues+ "unusal" behaviours

Not so good.I spent most of the time curled on the floor against the wall = a hidey hole for him (as he thinks) stroking him. He doesn't want me to leave him. So beautiful & unexpected - put his nose close to mine & gave me a whisker hug, also gave my nose a few licks. Can only manage 2 bramble leaves at a time now. He's tried hard, going to his food place, but only manages a few bites. Stopped trying to go downstairs! Now hunched much of the time - given metacam from my palm, got most of the dose in, but not much difference. Pooh's tiny, sticky, & so mishapen I wouldn't know they'd come from a rabbit (Not surprising after yesterday. I'll wait until tomorrow morning until any decisions. He doesn't usually eat afternoons

I'm sorry Benjie hasn't picked up faster. Poor lad. Have you a hot line to the vet, with it being holiday period coming up? Do you think his little mouth is still sore from the gag?

Sending vibes for Benjie and hugs for you Judy xx

Not so good.I spent most of the time curled on the floor against the wall = a hidey hole for him (as he thinks) stroking him. He doesn't want me to leave him. So beautiful & unexpected - put his nose close to mine & gave me a whisker hug, also gave my nose a few licks. Can only manage 2 bramble leaves at a time now. He's tried hard, going to his food place, but only manages a few bites. Stopped trying to go downstairs! Now hunched much of the time - given metacam from my palm, got most of the dose in, but not much difference. Pooh's tiny, sticky, & so mishapen I wouldn't know they'd come from a rabbit (Not surprising after yesterday. I'll wait until tomorrow morning until any decisions. He doesn't usually eat afternoons

I am sorry that Benjie is still not at all well :cry: Is he still on prokinetics ? I am wondering if the combined prokinetic/histamine H2-receptor antagonists properties of Ranitidine may be of particular benefit at the moment ? My reasoning being-relatively empty stomach -> risk of ulceration -> B's higher risk of bleeding (from a gastric ulcer) due to his thrombocytopenia ?

Sending millions more vibes for the poor little chap xx

Poor Benjie :( I really hope he picks up overnight and eats a bit better tomorrow. The pattern of wanting to eat and then only managing a small amount is not something I've experienced.

Sending lots of hugs for you. You must be emotionally exhausted.

Thank you so much every one for your massive support.
I had to get some sleep last night. I was aware of several short munchings going on, but not much impact on his piles of food except his bowl of cc. May have had about 50ml & taking it in preference to water.:) Small pile of small. round poohs, much like before his dental. I think he's going to be very up & down, but I'm happier that he's eating more frequently although it's a pitiful small amount.
He picked up a lot during the evening & was licking me as much as I was stroking him. :love: At 1 point he started when I coughed & I thought he was running to his hidey hole, he came straight through, laydown beside me, & started to groom me = nursing care in reverse.:love: So we carry on with the mega "love in" & I'll have a chat with Amy about him, particularly pain relief.

JJ I gain an impression that prokinetics give him painful caecal emptying. When I took him for the 1st. consult I had 2 things on my mind - small caecal impaction & coccidiosis. The problem is his thrombocytopaenia, & very bad reaction to "being interferred with" by humans or I'd jump at an ultrasound.

I'd completely forgotten that it's Western Christmas tomorrow. Happy Christmas everyone & have a lovely day. (My Christmas is Jan 7th - old calender - so it's not so bad!)

Last edited:
Sending loads more vibes for Benjie and I hope his eating picks up today.

I'm also pleased that he will take the cc willingly himself. That saves the trauma and concern of having to syringe feed it.

Thank you so much every one for your massive support.
I had to get some sleep last night. I was aware of several short munchings going on, but not much impact on his piles of food except his bowl of cc. May have had about 50ml & taking it in preference to water.:) Small pile of small. round poohs, much like before his dental. I think he's going to be very up & down, but I'm happier that he's eating more frequently although it's a pitiful small amount.
He picked up a lot during the evening & was licking me as much as I was stroking him. :love: At 1 point he started when I coughed & I thought he was running to his hidey hole, he came straight through, laydown beside me, & started to groom me = nursing care in reverse.:love: So we carry on with the mega "love in" & I'll have a chat with Amy about him, particularly pain relief.

JJ I gain an impression that prokinetics give him painful caecal emptying. When I took him for the 1st. consult I had 2 things on my mind - small caecal impaction & coccidiosis. The problem is his thrombocytopaenia, & very bad reaction to "being interferred with" by humans or I'd jump at an ultrasound.

I'd completely forgotten that it's Western Christmas tomorrow. Happy Christmas everyone & have a lovely day. (My Christmas is Jan 7th - old calender - so it's not so bad!)

Oh dear poor both of you ...

50ml is a reasonable amount I suppose but of course he really needs be eating by himself very soon. I hope Amy can help him get through this patch and out the other side.

Loads of vibes for him xx

Oh dear poor both of you ...

50ml is a reasonable amount I suppose but of course he really needs be eating by himself very soon. I hope Amy can help him get through this patch and out the other side.

Loads of vibes for him xx

Don't worry MM the 50 ml was overnight & he'd had frequent little munches. Thumper was a toe rag to medicate when he was younger, so I know the rabbit tricks & more, but even if I towel Benjie, I'm really scared that the slightest struggle could set off an internal bleed. He's been very good today, trying a little every 1/2 hour, but it's just not enough. He's hungry & eager to eat, but stops after a few mouthfuls. He's managing a bit more. Cuddles help a lot. It's the same situation we had before the dental.
In a way it was sad that he didn't have spurs at the back, because that would have sorted it. He's had the small spikes at the front all his life & they haven't caused eating issues before. It was a case of "we've got to see the back & may as well take off the small spikes while he's under just in case".

Thank you for all the vibes.
We're beginning to get somewhere slowly - poohs double in size & amount. It's crazy & not recommended without more information. Benjie raided my lemon grass plant. (the stuff we buy for cooking, rooted in water, planted in soil, producing a big clump of coarse leaved lemon scented grass.) Lemon grass leaves & lavender are IT, he'll then take normal food especially broad leafed plantain & brambles. (I have huge bramble leaves - smallest leaves the size of a hazel leaf. It's a variety which grows in woodland)
Still hand feeding him about 1/2 - 3/4 hourly through the night, but he's taking over x2 what he was taking previously.

Much more relaxed too. Flipped onto his side semicurled up, & had 30winks while I stroked him.:love:
Benjie hasn't been sleeping either until tonight - easy to know when he's sleeping - he snores! It's eerily quiet without my bunny snoring.

ETA without lavender his mental state is highly abnormally anxious, far more so than ever before.

Last edited:
I'm really really pleased to see this update. Hopefully, he will continue to eat even more and become even less anxious.

Thank you for all the vibes.
We're beginning to get somewhere slowly - poohs double in size & amount. It's crazy & not recommended without more information. Benjie raided my lemon grass plant. (the stuff we buy for cooking, rooted in water, planted in soil, producing a big clump of coarse leaved lemon scented grass.) Lemon grass leaves & lavender are IT, he'll then take normal food especially broad leafed plantain & brambles. (I have huge bramble leaves - smallest leaves the size of a hazel leaf. It's a variety which grows in woodland)
Still hand feeding him about 1/2 - 3/4 hourly through the night, but he's taking over x2 what he was taking previously.

Much more relaxed too. Flipped onto his side semicurled up, & had 30winks while I stroked him.:love:
Benjie hasn't been sleeping either until tonight - easy to know when he's sleeping - he snores! It's eerily quiet without my bunny snoring.

ETA without lavender his mental state is highly abnormally anxious, far more so than ever before.

Poos double in size and amount - gracious that's terrific news :D:D

I'm so glad to hear this. Now have you been able to get any rest and relaxation Judy? xx

Hoping that Benjie has improved during today and that you have been able to relax a little.

Thank you everyone.
I hope I'm beginning to get the hang of how often to give the lemon grass & lavender, (about 4 hourly) as both are in very limited supply. I think if I put his nose in a lavender bush, he wouldn't stop eating until it was demolished:shock: It's mostly woody stem which is good. After those 2 he goes to the blackthorn - he's self feeding a bit at last.
He now looks a much happier bunny. I smiled watching the long blade of lemon grass disappear - his 1/2 closed eyes of bliss just like when they eat caecals. Yes, well. rabbits!
I've got a happier bunny (which is what it's about) & he seems to have less pain (able to lie full out, put head back between shoulder blades, fall asleep, & snore! :lol:
So yes, I think I can allow myself some short sleep breaks. :)

Thank you everyone.
I hope I'm beginning to get the hang of how often to give the lemon grass & lavender, (about 4 hourly) as both are in very limited supply. I think if I put his nose in a lavender bush, he wouldn't stop eating until it was demolished:shock: It's mostly woody stem which is good. After those 2 he goes to the blackthorn - he's self feeding a bit at last.
He now looks a much happier bunny. I smiled watching the long blade of lemon grass disappear - his 1/2 closed eyes of bliss just like when they eat caecals. Yes, well. rabbits!
I've got a happier bunny (which is what it's about) & he seems to have less pain (able to lie full out, put head back between shoulder blades, fall asleep, & snore! :lol:
So yes, I think I can allow myself some short sleep breaks. :)

I am glad you feel able to get some sleep :D

I'm glad to hear Benjie is doing much better!

Gosh, I've not been around much the last few days (life has taken a bit of a hectic turn) so I'm just catching up. I'm sorry to see I missed a torrid time for you and Benji but glad to see things are picking up.

Sending lots of good wishes from Hector and me. Poor H understands the problem of a nasty tummy so well. Interestingly though, he did do the "praying position" that your vet was talking about. I wonder if it relieves pressure on a particular part of the GI tract?

Last edited:
Merry Christmas everyone & everybun!!:D

Oh dear I overslept but woke to a lovely sight. Lots of poops all over the floor & a more balanced Benjie. Poops on the small side but much better seperation :D
I've increased the amount of lavender he has. I'm not convinced he's through this, unless we're somehow treating the underlying GI condition. Pleased he's had some pellets (he must be desperate to increase his energy)
Lavender seems to be needed more than lemon grass now.

I wish I could ask a herbalist vet "What's wrong with a rabbit who improves so much by eating lavender & lemon grass?"

I'm beginning to think I could have given him the "double dip" to his GA by giving that sprig of lavender too soon. On the other hand he was terrified by his inability to move & doing a lot of rolling, in his attempt to get from 1 hidey place to another.
It's looking good tentatively. The real test will be if we can wean him off lavender & lemon grass, but I'm apprehensive that he seems to be needing more of both at present.

Last edited:
Yesterday afternoon & evening was not good. He started to sound a bit snuffly when awake,was nervous despite a lot of lavender, didn't pick up until 11.00pm but improved even more during the night & is still lively now, (naughty paws just had a carpet dig) & actually did a binky:shock::D He's just had another reasonable eat. Plenty of well seperated waste poohs in the last 24 hours. He's pitifully thin, but started to eat pellets again & no uneaten caecals.

Food above everything else is lavender - he demolishes it when he won't eat anything else. (I've not seen anything like it. He looks as if he's in stasis - no interest in food, but when offered lavender there's no stopping him!) I wonder whether he'll make scented poohs eventually?:lol:
After that he has a mix of brambles, mixed tree leaves, greater plantain, a bit of blackthorn & now pellets. Lemon grass goes in less frequently, & usually with lavender.
Mainly self feeding at last with a bit of a top up from me.
Can't expect him to eat much until this evening. Still needs to eat a bit more to maintain weight.

Amazed that the snuffles hasn't taken off. Obviously I don't know what's happening to his platelets.

A binky! :) so glad to hear benjie's taken a turn for the better ...hope he continues to up his food intake and his binky quotient over the next few days :)

Back