• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Large mass in abdomen and chewing toes

crazy daisy

Warren Scout
Hi all, I haven't posted in a very long time but I really need some advice.

My indoor bunny Casper, who is 8, had an op about 3 weeks ago to remove a toe as he had chewed it down to the bone. I'm not 100% sure if he had injured his toe, which caused him to do this. He had it bandaged for about a week and was on antibiotics and pain relief. He was eating and pooping fine. When the bandage was removed almost straightaway he started to chew his foot again, on the toe next to the one he had removed.
I bandaged it best I could at home then took him back to the vets. They cleaned and rebandaged and added tramadol to his meds.
Since then I have been back to vets pretty much every other day for it to be cleaned, assessed and rebandaged.
On one of the visits last week the vet, a different one who I hadn't seen previously, advised that he had found a lump, around the size of a golf ball on his abdomen. I said that Casper seemed fine etc and he said to just keep an eye on and monitor.
Fast forward to this week, Monday check up, vet said lump had grown alot, it is now size of a fist! Casper still eating pooping etc as normal.
When I went today, they removed his bandage and kept it off as it was healing fine and there was no infection in the toe he had begun chewing. Now he is on no antibiotics just Loxicom.
The lump has got slightly bigger since Monday and they have advised they would need to do the following to treat,
- Scan & Xray to determine if the lump is attached to any organs and what it could be, may need to do xray under sedation
- Take a sample using a needle to test, although they advised they may not be able to get a big enough sample. This will need to be done under sedation / anesthetic.
- if needle sample is no good, take a biopsy, again under anesthetic.
- possibly operate if possible.
They also mentioned that he seems to be in no pain when they are palpitating it but he has been on paid meds since his op and he has lost around 0.35kg since his op even though the lump has grown.
He has also chewed the same toe he had previously to the bone again tonight, I've cleaned it and bandaged it up and I will be taking him back tomorrow.
The reason for my post is really to get advice on what I should do. I want to give him the best possible chance at whatever this may be but I dont want to put him through anything unnecessarily. If needed, would he be ok having 2 anesthetics within 3-4 weeks of each other, given his age. Although my other bunny is 12 this year and she was really ill in Jan but pulled through. He is in good health apart from this. Im also thinking that him chewing his toe may be related to the lump, I read that animals can chew on a limb if they have another pain they cannot reach and the lump and affected foot are on the same side. The vet did mention this but said it is very rare even more so in rabbits, but could there be a chance? Any advice would be appreciated, I am going out of mind 😭
Many thanks if you have made it this far xx

I don't have any great insight I'm afraid but I couldn't read & run. One of my buns chews his toe nails (really quite short but after reading your post I'm now grateful he stops there) - he has lots of issues though & I think his could be his primary health issue (kidney failure), the loss of feeling through EC related hind limb weakness or self harm. I guess there will be other reasons too for yours & other bunnies. Your theory makes sense to me. I hope you'll get some answers that will help with your difficult decision. I don't know enough about lumps & relevant diagnostics but thinking an attempt at a conscious xray & maybe some blood tests might be a good starting point

Lots of vibes

Many years ago, I had a bunny who chewed his lower leg after it became paralyzed. I suspect my late bunny's paralyzed leg may have been causing him some sort of discomfort/pain/tingling that resulted in him chewing his leg until it bled.
When you mention that your bunny has the lump on the same side as the toe he is chewing, I wonder if your bunny has lost feeling, has pain, or has some sort of tingling or itching in his foot due to pressure being put on leg/foot/toe nerves as the result of his lump.
Some lumps are operable, so you may want to have additional testing done before deciding how to proceed. Sending you and Casper positive vibes.

It sounds as though you have a good Vet and I am sure that he/she would not advise risking any diagnostics/treatments that were not absolutely necessary. The foot chewing may be due to pain, either in the actual foot still or as a referred response from pain elsewhere.

If Casper were my Bunny I'd opt for further diagnostics to try to establish what the mass may be and if it can be removed.The Vet could run a full blood profile first, to assess how Casper's Kidney and Liver function is holding up. Whilst it is not ideal for a Bunny to have to have a GA just 4 weeks after a previous one sometimes it is a risk that needs to be taken.

Should the mass be found to be inoperable and/or malignant then Palliative care would obviously be needed. This would have to include good pain relief.

I hope that your Vet will be able to help Casper, wishing him lots of luck xx

I’m so sorry you and Casper are going through all of this :cry: I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise but I’m sending lots of vibes xx

Thank you all for your advice and well wishes��. I am leaning towards the lump and toe being connected but when he originally chewed his toe the lump hadnt been found yet, could it have still been causing him pain?
His foot overall is ok, an xray was done when he was first admitted to check as i thought that maybe he had caught his foot in the bars of his pen.
I will be taking him to the vet today and discussing the possibility that his chewing may be due to nerve pain and looking into having a scan and sample done.
Many thanks again for your advice, will keep you updated!
This is Casper ��

Back