• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Killing wild rabbits affected by myxi

I get really confused now. Obviously if it's wiping entire populations out it might be kinder to put them to sleep as they catch it. But then if even one survives it can pass on it's immunity. It's horrible for them to go through it, but maybe in a a hundred years or so they could become fully immune to is a species?

The thing is though, the disease mutates too, so although one population becomes immune, another strain of the illness can come along and wipe them out again. It's all swings and roundabouts really. :?

It's the same for the vaccine, I think it was last year a number of vaccinated buns died and it was thought that it was a strain that wasn't covered with the current vaccination (it must have mutated after clinical trials for the latest batches?).

If a wild rabbit was clearly suffering heavily from myxi, I would want to put it out of it's suffering.

At my last place of work, we actually ended up calling in a marksman as our rabbits were dropping like flies and suffering so bad. I was literally stumbling over buns that were dying or so blind and poorly, there couldn't move out the way of people/predators. There were too many to take to the vets (vets round here aren't that willing unless you hand over cash for that amount of work), so we chose this route, as heartbreaking as it was. :(

Liz, I understand what a distressing thought it is. :( If it's done properly though (which it sounds as though it would have been with a stationary bunny) then the bun wouldn't have felt a thing.

It's not something I could bring myself to do I don't think but it was an act of compassion in this case, not cruelty.

Just makes me so angry as there is no reason for them to have ever suffered with it. If people wanted to cull them I would rather they be shot or got with hawks than this. :(

The thing is though, the disease mutates too, so although one population becomes immune, another strain of the illness can come along and wipe them out again. It's all swings and roundabouts really. :?

It's the same for the vaccine, I think it was last year a number of vaccinated buns died and it was thought that it was a strain that wasn't covered with the current vaccination (it must have mutated after clinical trials for the latest batches?).

If a wild rabbit was clearly suffering heavily from myxi, I would want to put it out of it's suffering.

At my last place of work, we actually ended up calling in a marksman as our rabbits were dropping like flies and suffering so bad. I was literally stumbling over buns that were dying or so blind and poorly, there couldn't move out the way of people/predators. There were too many to take to the vets (vets round here aren't that willing unless you hand over cash for that amount of work), so we chose this route, as heartbreaking as it was. :(

That was a very selfless act, and i emplore you for it. It was definately the right thing, although very distressing for you i am sure.

Liz - i think this bun had suffered enough and it does sound as if it was out of compassion, certainly not cruelty.

Binky free wildie bun.

At the army bases near where I live (and the american air force base where i used to live) they shoot them if they can't get a vet out.
I know the guys on the American base used to hold mini military funerals for them, it got so bad one year they were holding mass funerals.

There were loads of them together all with terrible myxi, normal healthy rabbits would scatter at the sound of a gun shot, or at least look terrified. These buns just looked like they were waiting for their turn :cry:

I sometimes think they come onto the tarmac because they know that's where their friends we freed from the final stages of myxi :cry:

Yes I agree with ending suffering when it's advanced and the rabbit cannot move to defend itself, very sad but cruel to be kind.

I think it's best just to do it as quickly as possible.
A heavy blow with a shovel or an axe is kinder imo than the stress of boxing the rabbit up, taking it to the vet and having it pts. We all think differently though.

Liz, I understand what a distressing thought it is. :( If it's done properly though (which it sounds as though it would have been with a stationary bunny) then the bun wouldn't have felt a thing.

It's not something I could bring myself to do I don't think but it was an act of compassion in this case, not cruelty.

have to say i agree. iv seen myxi buns in the road and i know some people who have delibratly sped up and hit them to put them out of their suffering i dont think i could personally do it but i do think that its kinder than them suffering. I think i personally would try and take to a vet to pts although equally im not sure due to the risk to my own if i could do that either. its a hard call. a wildie with myxi stands no chance of survival if they have true myxi. x

Many years ago an ex-OH of mine told me he was playing golf with a colleague and they encountered a wild bun in a bad way with myxi. It was completely blind with big lumps and sore-looking eyes and just sat there on the fairway when they approached it. They recognised the problem and the other chap hit it hard with his golf club and killed it instantly. I think they then hid it under some bushes for nature to take its course (not really much more they could've done in the middle of a golf course). OH couldn't bring himself to hit the rabbit, I daresay I wouldn't have been able to either, but I'm very glad his friend did, I believe it was the best thing to do. Poor bun :(

More and more wildies are immune to myxi now, but if I could see it was in pain and at the brink of death I would want it put out of its misery :(

At least it's no longer suffering or passing it on to other wildies and pets :(

while they are infected can they not still be passing it onto others? if i am right would also not help others buns to stop first buns suffering? Not that its something I could ever be involved with myself.

I personally think that is the best action. It's not fair to let them suffer, and as long as its a quick death, I think its OK.

:cry: That is so sad! Poor wildie but he is not suffering any more and can go and have fun at the bridge now.

A friend of ours is a greens keeper and he sometimes has to end the suffering of wildies, it is horrible I know and I could never bring myself to actually hit a bunny over the head but if it is kinder to put them out of their suffering then it is the kidest thing to do, just very hard and very sad.

Makes me so angry, what gives man the right to muck about with nature like that. :evil::evil:

Part of me wishes we could develope a form of sterilisation or contraceptive that could be fed to the wild rabbits in Australia. I know the rabbits in OZ are a great nuesanes, and cause millions of dollars of damage a year as well as a danger to native wildlife.
There's got to be an easier way to control numbers to a point where they can be removed or simply die out from lack of breeding?

If we could give does a form or contraceptive it could work. I know other animals have had contraceptives and preventative drigs given to them in feed, so why not the rabbits? Or an infection that could neuter them? Sounds cruel, but if a doe could no longer produce kits, eventually the numbers would reduce from old age, natural death, accidentds and predation. Could give an inccoulation to domestic breeding sock, but wouldn't be a bad things for pet rabbits to have it either. No unwanted litters!

Sorry guys, studied biology and enviroment so understand interactions etc...

Back